RadioBanter

-   -   RF Speech Processor... (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/152281-rf-speech-processor.html)

Telstar Electronics July 5th 10 12:27 AM

RF Speech Processor...

Can someone explain to me why superimposing audio on an RF signal...
then clipping it... is any better than just clipping an audio signal?
Doesn't make any sense to me. They are both clipping and distorting
the waveshape... and that's bad!

[email protected] July 7th 10 09:48 AM

RF Speech Processor...

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 16:27:23 -0700 (PDT), Telstar Electronics
wrote:

Can someone explain to me why superimposing audio on an RF signal...
then clipping it... is any better than just clipping an audio signal?
Doesn't make any sense to me. They are both clipping and distorting
the waveshape... and that's bad!

Higher levels of compression and intelligibility can be accomplished
with RF clipping. This end result must be filtered to get this gain
without creating a dirty RF signal.

Telstar Electronics July 7th 10 11:45 AM

RF Speech Processor...

wrote:
Can someone explain to me why superimposing audio on an RF signal...
then clipping it... is any better than just clipping an audio signal?
Doesn't make any sense to me. They are both clipping and distorting
the waveshape... and that's bad!

Higher levels of compression and intelligibility can be accomplished
with RF clipping. This end result must be filtered to get this gain
without creating a dirty RF signal.

Huh? Dirty RF signal? The modulated (and clipped) RF signal is
converted back to audio... then filtered. Now I see this method is not
only complicated, but when all is said & done... it's still clipping
an AC wave... which has issues.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri/Diverse...lipper.eng.htm