RadioBanter

-   -   Uniden Grant flickering channel selector as turned (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/185255-uniden-grant-flickering-channel-selector-turned.html)

John Johnson April 27th 12 04:47 PM

Uniden Grant flickering channel selector as turned

I have a Uniden Grant that has a flickering channel display, especially as
the channels are turned. How can I repair this?

Thanks,
JJ

Channel Jumper April 28th 12 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Johnson (Post 790249)
I have a Uniden Grant that has a flickering channel display, especially as
the channels are turned. How can I repair this?

Thanks,
JJ

Take it apart, look inside to see what you can see.
Test the leads coming out of the display for cold solder joints.
Look at the schematic's to see how it is driven.
http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...e_result_group

The factory has test points which you can check the voltages and outputs to see if everything else is ok.
Maybe you could purchase a service manual - probably $40.00

If you had a oscilloscope - there are some other things you could check.
But since you don't and since it is probably only worth $40.00
The best thing you can do is take it to a CB shop and ask for a estimate.
I would venture to say as long as they do not have to replace much - it will cost $40.00 to fix and align.

If it had a Peak and Tune done - chances are the components are out of value and the radio was squeezed and the repair bill will exceed the value of the transceiver.

ps - if you can't read the schematic - chances are there are no user serviceable parts inside that you can repair with no technical knowledge and no tools - other then a soldering iron.

Scott in Baltimore[_2_] April 28th 12 02:43 AM

John Johnson wrote:
I have a Uniden Grant that has a flickering channel display, especially
as the channels are turned. How can I repair this?

Replace the channel selector since the segments of the digits are switched.