Old October 3rd 03, 11:52 PM
gw

Default question for rochester new york jim

hey jimbo, if commercial am radio station says it is a 50,000 watt
blow torch, what does that mean? is that 50k watts rms???? would
that be about 90,000 pep??? also i noticed a lot of them are changing
over to solid state units. i was wondering what kind of transistors
are they using and how are they kept cool so that the station can
continue broadcasting 24 hours a day??? come on, come
on................
Old October 4th 03, 12:46 AM
Dave VanHorn

om...

http://www.transmitter.be/cca-am10000f.html
http://www.nautel.com/pdf/xl12brochure.pdf
http://www.drft.com/svpa/web/FMAmplifiers/B-1500.html

Old October 4th 03, 02:04 AM
Bessel Null

"gw" wrote in message
om...
hey jimbo, if commercial am radio station says it is a 50,000 watt
blow torch, what does that mean? is that 50k watts rms???? would
that be about 90,000 pep??? also i noticed a lot of them are changing
over to solid state units. i was wondering what kind of transistors
are they using and how are they kept cool so that the station can
continue broadcasting 24 hours a day??? come on, come
on................

They use Fet's, and they aren't like cbers who push amplifiers etc to the
limit.

Old October 4th 03, 02:34 AM
Jim Hampton

Commercial AM transmitters have changed a *heck* of a lot since I was chief
engineer of WWHG AM-FM. I am not familiar with what they use now other than
most of them are using switch mode amplifiers (which can run 90%
efficiency). Even though they are either on (saturation) or off (open),
there are means available to effectively "modulate" them. I sure wish I had
saved that link two years ago which described a switch mode amplifier. A
kit was available from a university in California for ham operators. It was
not, however, linear and had means to control the leading and trailing edges
of the signal when turned on or off. It was only good for cw or fm, but ran
around 92% efficiency. Due to this, there is a lot less heat generated than
what used to be generated. (the amps in the commercial stations *are*
linear)

As to power, 50,000 watts means a 50,000 watt rms carrier. At 100%
modulation, if you consider that under high level modulation, one has to
supply an audio signal that will exactly reach cutoff, that audio signal
will have to be equal (and exactly cancel the B+ to the final at the
negative peak of audio) in voltage to the power supply. This means that the
plate voltage is effectively running (under modulation) between zero and
twice power supply voltage. This implies that the peak envelope power will
be reached at the peak positive swing of audio modulation, at which time
plate voltage will be twice normal. Since power equals voltage squared
divided by resistance (and the resistance hasn't changed), the power at
twice voltage will be four times normal (unmodulated carrier). Thus, 50,000
watt rms carrier will be modulated to a 200,000 watt peak envelope power.
Radio stations will not reach 100% modulation; there are various limiters in
the lines to keep it a few percent below 100% max for obvious reasons. I've
never worked on one of those blow torches, but I've managed to get a 5,000
watt rf burn. Not recommended at all. Takes a long time to heal and
burning flesh does not smell nice at all BTW, it tore a nice hunk of
skin out of my finger and cauterized it instantly. No bleeding. Man, that
hurt like heck, stunk like heck, and was most embarrassing!

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim

---

Old October 4th 03, 05:31 AM
Dave VanHorn

No bleeding. Man, that hurt like heck, stunk like heck, and was most
embarrassing!

Hurts all the way to the shoulder! =8-0

The biggest transmitter I ever saw, was lualualei.
21.4kHz or 23.4, I forget.., with a "tube" that had an airlock door, so the
cathode could be repainted.
I saw it have a short one afternoon, the power feedlines to the building
sagged visibly.

It's nearly half a megawatt..

Old October 4th 03, 02:01 PM
Richard Cranium

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message ...
[...]

Ummm, Jim; most broadcasting stations today modulate between 110 and
125% on peaks, and it appears to be "legal". Or is that just to keep
the "average" modulation at about 100%? Certainly increases adjacent
channel interference and splatter!
Old October 5th 03, 10:45 PM
Citizens For A Keyclown Free Environment

(Richard Cranium DICK HEAD) mewled like a
whing little pussyboy that he is in message
om...
[...]

You know all about splatter too, queerboy. like how jizz splatters in
your faggot mouth.

HARDEEHARRHARRHARRR! Life is good when your not a dicklipped cranus
the anus.

New York Court Kicks Out charges against ham! Jerry Policy 17 September 20th 03 10:19 PM
Geller Media [email protected] Broadcasting 0 September 19th 03 09:03 PM
BPL Video On-Line JJ Policy 31 August 17th 03 09:12 PM
Gays proud in New York RP Jones General 0 July 1st 03 01:56 AM