RadioBanter

-   -   Help, I have a hot chassis, 12 v is everywhere (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/30004-help-i-have-hot-chassis-12-v-everywhere.html)

tomagain October 8th 03 03:30 AM

Help, I have a hot chassis, 12 v is everywhere

A friend of mine inadvertantly plugged in his power cord backwards,
after cleaning his mobile. The middle (offset pin) was loose and
pushed back in the radio allowing the plug to slide in reversed. He
did not have an inline fuse connected at the time. Needless to say it
killed the radio. I told him I'd look on the inside for him. I found
nothing burnt up on the inside. After fixing the power pins, I
correctly connected it to a D.C. power supply on my bench. The radio
won't come on. When I started checking for voltage, I found that I had
voltage everywhere. 12 volts is on the chassis, both sides of the
on/off dial, everywhere.... Anyone have any advice on what to look for
next? It's hard to troubleshoot with the voltage meter, when power
shows up everywhere....Thanks

BuckEye October 8th 03 06:02 AM

Sometimes the so called chassis is not connected to the Board ground,
Note where the negative lead is going to.
and measure from there.

Brainbuster October 10th 03 07:41 AM

tomagain wrote in message ...
Sorry for the multiple post. I kept getting server errors....

I got exactly the same a little while back. unless your system gets a
"received" reply from the server, it will keep trying to send it again.
My system sent quite a few copies, until I disconnected, reconnected, and
tried again.

As for your CB problem, it sounds like the radio is a grounded chassis
type.. and the supply is disconnected on the negative side. Check the
power lead black wire, the wires from the socket to the board, any coils
from the socket to the board, and any PCB tracks from the neative PCB
connection to the main negative foil on the board.

Regards,

Peter.