RadioBanter

-   -   rooftop verticals vs. ground plane (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/30254-rooftop-verticals-vs-ground-plane.html)

Richard Hoskins November 9th 03 10:58 PM

rooftop verticals vs. ground plane

I'm looking for advice about setting up a antenna on top of a two
story house. I gather there are two common types of omni-directional
antennas, ground plane and vertical.

I'm leaning toward a 5/8 wave vertical, but I can't seem to find an
unbiased source of information on the web that discusses the
differences.

--
Lift me down, so I can make the Earth tremble.
--Bucky Katt

Dave VanHorn November 9th 03 11:24 PM

"Richard Hoskins" wrote in message

I'm looking for advice about setting up a antenna on top of a two
story house. I gather there are two common types of omni-directional
antennas, ground plane and vertical.

I'm leaning toward a 5/8 wave vertical, but I can't seem to find an
unbiased source of information on the web that discusses the
differences.

Sloppy terminology. They are both "vertical" antennas, in that thery are
both vertically polarized.
The 5/8 will have a lower angle of radiation, and may give you greater
range.
The ground plane is a 1/4 wave vertical.

Frank Gilliland November 10th 03 03:36 AM

http://www.cebik.com/58.html