RadioBanter

-   -   installing a mobile mount (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/31425-installing-mobile-mount.html)

Twistedhed March 24th 04 05:36 PM

From: (Dave=A0VanHorn)
I've seen that site before, funny thing I sent them an email asking
about their organizatin and never got a reply.
73 de Keith

What would you like to know?

_
Do you chase tornados?

Dave VanHorn March 24th 04 06:22 PM

From: (Dave VanHorn)
I've seen that site before, funny thing I sent them an email asking
about their organizatin and never got a reply.
73 de Keith

What would you like to know?

_
Do you chase tornados?

Not normally, I'm a spotter, but I'm on the board of Inchase.
Spotters and chasers work together a lot, and you need to know the same
things.

Twistedhed March 24th 04 08:55 PM

From: (Dave=A0VanHorn)
"Twistedhed" wrote in message
... From:
(Dave VanHorn) I've seen that site before, funny

-
Not normally, I'm a spotter, but I'm on the

board of Inchase. Spotters and chasers work

together a lot, and you need to know the same
things.

_
I've listened to you guys before,,well, not YOU guys, but you know what
I mean. A hell of a thing, man. gotta hand it to you,,,from what little
I know of the tasks involved, it takes dedication to the max.....getting
caught up in a storm front and some of these guys will run all over the
state for DAYS without sleep.,,and hurricane season is on the way. I
hope our summer is nowhere near the severity of what winter brought to
the states.

Dave VanHorn March 24th 04 09:44 PM

I've listened to you guys before,,well, not YOU guys, but you know what
I mean. A hell of a thing, man. gotta hand it to you,,,from what little
I know of the tasks involved, it takes dedication to the max.....getting
caught up in a storm front and some of these guys will run all over the
state for DAYS without sleep.,,and hurricane season is on the way. I
hope our summer is nowhere near the severity of what winter brought to
the states.

Chasing is like that. Spotting is a little different. We don't travel a
whole lot, but I may rack up 100-300 miles in a day, running all over the
county doing spotting before, and damage assesment after. Hurricanes you
get more warning of. We get maybe 3 days notice that conditions will be
right in our area, but as to the actual warning of the event, we are
literally the first to know.

I had a reporter along with me season before last, who got way more of a
ride than he expected.

He kinda paled when EMA ordered me to evacuate my position because of a
radar indicated tornado heading straight at us. It was covered by rain
from where we were, so we couldn't see it (or much of anything else) at that
time. The plan had been not to try to outrun this storm, a large flanking
line, but to wait till it passed , and then follow..

The cell that went by us, later did tornado, and then went on to level Van
Wert Ohio.