RadioBanter

-   -   Suggestion for Interstate radio... (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/68509-suggestion-interstate-radio.html)

Big Kahuna April 7th 05 07:34 PM

Suggestion for Interstate radio...

Greets.

I drive across country twice a year in an '02 Toyota Camry. I was
thinking that this time (next month), it might be fun to get a CB for
the trip.

I've been away from radio for ~20 years so I have no clue on current
gear. I don't want an expensive, in-dash installation. But I don't
want a junker portable either. And what's the best solution for an
antenna these days (I know that makes a *huge* difference in
performance)? Roof magnetic? Trunk magnetic? Something else?
Obviously, I'd prefer not to have some rinky-dink thing that plugs into
the cig lighter, runs a wire through a permanently open window to a
badly matched (horrible SWR) magnetic roof mount and gets horrible
reception, etc.

Suggestions appreciated.

de N6OEF

sean April 7th 05 11:39 PM

I've got a radio shack TRC - 452 (1980s model) 40 channel AM Mobile CB.
I'm running a Wilson Li'l Wil Mag Mount on my 98 Jeep Cherokee Laredo. (may
upgrade to Wilson 500 or 1000)

I have a Uniden Grant XL but it needs new Rf coils and retuning and
alignment.

It's in great physical shape.

Vinnie S. April 7th 05 11:54 PM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 11:34:01 -0700, Big Kahuna wrote:

Greets.

I drive across country twice a year in an '02 Toyota Camry. I was
thinking that this time (next month), it might be fun to get a CB for
the trip.

I've been away from radio for ~20 years so I have no clue on current
gear. I don't want an expensive, in-dash installation. But I don't
want a junker portable either. And what's the best solution for an
antenna these days (I know that makes a *huge* difference in
performance)? Roof magnetic? Trunk magnetic? Something else?
Obviously, I'd prefer not to have some rinky-dink thing that plugs into
the cig lighter, runs a wire through a permanently open window to a
badly matched (horrible SWR) magnetic roof mount and gets horrible
reception, etc.

Suggestions appreciated.

de N6OEF

Roof magnetic is ideal, for temporary setups. I use it because I frequent
parking garages, and need to remove it. Also, my car is a company lease vehicle,
and I really can't drill holes. Uniden make some nice CBs, if you just want to
use channel 19. Get a hump mount with a speaker.

As far as the antenna, both the K40 and Wilson 1000 are excellent for
magnetmounts, if you plan to go barefoot. I got the same results with both. The
Wilson handles power better. Anything close to 100 watts or more, go with the
Wilson. Both come with permanent mounts, if you plan on drilling.

Vinnie S.

Frank Gilliland April 7th 05 11:59 PM

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:54:50 -0400, Vinnie the Antenna Guru wrote:

snip
Also, my car is a company lease vehicle,
and I really can't drill holes.

So you deliver pizza just like Dave?

Steveo April 8th 05 12:00 AM

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:54:50 -0400, Vinnie the Antenna Guru wrote:

snip
Also, my car is a company lease vehicle,
and I really can't drill holes.

So you deliver pizza just like Dave?

Do you serve pizza at the bar you work at?

Frank Gilliland April 8th 05 12:05 AM

On 07 Apr 2005 23:00:17 GMT, Steveo wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:54:50 -0400, Vinnie the Antenna Guru wrote:

snip
Also, my car is a company lease vehicle,
and I really can't drill holes.

So you deliver pizza just like Dave?

Do you serve pizza at the bar you work at?

I wish. It's a Chinese restaurant & bar. They do have an outstanding
"special" chow mein, though.

Vinnie S. April 8th 05 12:05 AM

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:54:50 -0400, Vinnie the Antenna Guru wrote:

snip
Also, my car is a company lease vehicle,
and I really can't drill holes.

So you deliver pizza just like Dave?

Yeah, I deliver all over eastern PA, you ****ing moron. Learn to read.

Vinnie S.

Vinnie S. April 8th 05 12:06 AM

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:54:50 -0400, Vinnie the Antenna Guru wrote:

snip
Also, my car is a company lease vehicle,
and I really can't drill holes.

So you deliver pizza just like Dave?

Do you serve pizza at the bar you work at?

No. He gets the ice buckets. Washes dishes on occasion.

Vinnie S.

Steveo April 8th 05 12:06 AM

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:54:50 -0400, Vinnie the Antenna Guru wrote:

snip
Also, my car is a company lease vehicle,
and I really can't drill holes.

So you deliver pizza just like Dave?

Do you serve pizza at the bar you work at?

I wish. It's a Chinese restaurant & bar. They do have an outstanding
"special" chow mein, though.

Is their kitchen clean? I love Chinese food but I wonder about some of
that mystery meat and cleanliness in those joints.

Frank Gilliland April 8th 05 12:10 AM

Frank Gilliland wrote:
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 18:54:50 -0400, Vinnie the Antenna Guru wrote:

snip
Also, my car is a company lease vehicle,
and I really can't drill holes.

So you deliver pizza just like Dave?

Yeah, I deliver all over eastern PA, you ****ing moron. Learn to read.

I read just fine -- Dave taught me how to read between the lines. He
also taught me how to use a crystal ball.