RadioBanter

-   -   RCI 2950 (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/68801-rci-2950-a.html)

barry April 12th 05 05:21 AM

RCI 2950

Need some advice, my son hooked the positive to ground is the radio
destroyed ?

ME TOO! April 12th 05 06:09 AM

YEP, that radio is TOAST! File under G for Garbage!

K7MEM April 12th 05 02:18 PM

barry wrote:
Need some advice, my son hooked the positive to ground is the radio
destroyed ?

Not necessarily. It's common to have built in protection against
hooking something like this up backwards. This protection is commonly
in the form of a diode that blows an internal fuse, when hooked up
backwards. The fuse is usually on the circuit board and not accessible
from the outside. You could open it up and look around the area
where the power enters the unit. If you see just crispy blackened
circuit board, throw it away. If not, look for a fuse or possible
blown diode. A fuse may be in a clip, making it easy to replace,
but sometimes they use fuses with pigtails and are soldered in.
If you are not competent with a soldering iron, find someone who
is and have them replace it for you. You can probably get a replacement
fuse at Radio Shack.

--
Martin E. Meserve - K7MEM
http://www.k7mem.com

Jeff Mayner April 13th 05 01:25 AM

barry wrote:
Need some advice, my son hooked the positive to ground is the radio
destroyed ?

Send it back to Ranger and they'll fix it for you. They will put the radio
back to what it was supposed to be, a 10 meter radio, if it has been
modified to 11 meter. If you are planning to use it on the CB band, you'll
have to modify it yourself, or get someone to do it for you. Very easily
done, by the way. Be aware, it is against the rules to do so.

Jeff

Professor April 13th 05 01:38 AM

What happens when you attempt to power it up now?

Professor
www.telstar-electronics.com

Admiral Nelson April 14th 05 10:29 PM

Almost all radios have a diode right at the back of the power plug
inside the radio.
If the radio does not work now check the diode, most likely blown. If
it's not there
it most likely shattered in tiny little pieces. You can do a quick
check if it is there. Just jump it out and try
the radio again. If your lucky, it will work. Replace the diode, if
not and the radio still works, you run the risk
of wrecking the radio when you son does it again!
73