Old May 22nd 05, 08:17 PM
John Smith

The number of hams--worldwide, is fewer in number than the number of illegal
aliens in California... they have already done it--their alzheimers may just
be too advanced for them to realize it...

Warmest regards,
John

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

John Smith wrote:
It is a shame that hams are riding a sinking ship to the bottom...

just so
others can't ride... weird really... those old guys really have a axe

grind with someone... but, maybe it is as they claim--their minds are

gone
to alzheimers and they simply await for the need for morse to

return...
however, long before then--amateur radio will be dead...

Regards,
John

If it can't be the ham radio that they knew in their youth, they do
want it destroyed, gone, dead. Several have made such claims.

Old May 23rd 05, 12:30 AM
Jim Hampton

Nice try, John

In the original post I stated "just for grins".

As far as Alzheimer's disease, I know the change I am due before the kid
punches the cash tendered into the register. I had to chuckle one day when
the gal punched in as though I had made exact change and had to figure out
what my change was. She had to call a manager!

I am familiar with how great the Internet is and surf a bit plus am active
in several Yahoo groups. Do you remember 911? I lost my AT&T service for a
week as they had some central switching station in there. I had to use my
Juno account as a backup. The radios, however, work - even without mains.
Come to think of it, some of the repeaters work without mains. There are
two of them around here that aren't even connected to the mains!

I have no axe to grind. Oh, it bothers me when a couple of high power
stations are talking across town on 20 meters, however there is no sanity
test for an amateur license. Come to think of it, the same applies to high
power CBs. It causes interference thousands of miles away.

What I cannot understand is why so many folks get their panties in a knot
over CW. If you enjoy it, use it; if not, don't. No big deal there.

As far as the folks who love to condemn those who enjoy Morse, I suspect
that many of them are also lacking in theory and really want a no test
ticket. Perhaps we could also do away with a test for a driver's license as
well ....

Granted, folks will point out there is a big difference. There is, but the
underlying problem is trying to make the airwaves available for *everyone*.
This includes cell-phones (think duplex walk-talkie connected to a repeater
which is connected to the telephone company), radio, television, aircraft
guidance systems, satellite tv, satellite radio, gps, and so much more.
Originally, there were no driver's licenses, but as more automobiles came
about, there was a need for regulation. Should we get rid of traffic
lights? How about the flashing red lights on school busses? Think there
might be a need for regulation? The same applies to radio. Originally,
there were no regulations for radio. If you have 100 stations in the world,
total, there is really no need for regulation. As technology progressed,
there were more demands made for radio spectrum (I say radio, but mean
everything using the electro-magnetic spectrum from perhaps 3 kHz to 300
gHz). Regulations came into being and have been revisited and changed many
times since.

At least we can discuss this problem with regulating the airwaves; I have
another problem that I am going to have to "discuss" a different way.

Our new chief of police is claiming he is going to start cracking down on
the loud stereos. One guy wrote an editorial stating "you just don't like
my music". Well, I finally got one guy fined and he is staying quiet. It
is disconcerting, to say the least, when someone has their boom box turned
up 10 dB above distort at midnight and I have to get up in the morning.
Some of us actually have jobs. I have some "tunes" that I will share should
this start again. I'm not going to bother burning a cd as I've got the mp3
cuts on the computer. Just plug an audio line from the headphone jack on
the computer speakers to the 700 stereo system I have for satellite tv. I
hope they enjoy my tunes:

1) Washington Post March
2) Anchors aweigh
3) The Thunderer
4) The Stars and Stripes Forever (my favorite)

I've got others on CDs. From all of the services. Funny, but I have a
feeling that they will be clamoring for "regulation" all of a sudden )

With all due regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"John Smith" wrote in message
It is a shame that hams are riding a sinking ship to the bottom... just so
others can't ride... weird really... those old guys really have a axe to
grind with someone... but, maybe it is as they claim--their minds are gone
to alzheimers and they simply await for the need for morse to return...
however, long before then--amateur radio will be dead...

Regards,
John

"Jim Hampton" wrote in message
Hi gang!

Just for some grins, check this out:
http://www.lildobe.net/video/

It will take a bit of time for the folks on dial-up, but it is worth
remembering that those two guys were not setting any speed records. It
sounded about like the commercial CW circuits on the marine bands I
listened
to about 37 years ago ....

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old May 23rd 05, 12:30 AM
Jim Hampton

"KØHB" wrote in message
nk.net...

"K4YZ" wrote

I guess the fact that the Morse guys did it faster and with 100%
accuracy doesn't account for anything, eh?

Doesn't account for much!

It's kind of like a speed contest between a turtle and a snail --- mildly
interesting, but inconsequential when comparing them to the speed of a

cheetah.

dit dit

de Hans, K0HB

Hello, Hans

Very true. One interesting thing of note - text messaging I'd consider
similar to cw in one thing - it may be fun, but not highly useful. If one
needs to send a lot of text, a computer and the Internet just might be
considerably faster (assuming one can touch type at a reasonable rate). Via
radio, there are digital modes, of course, and text can be reliably sent
much faster with many of the digital modes (even the very dated RTTY).

I have to chuckle at the length of this thread; I thought it an interesting
link and figured there would be a couple of cw detractors that would answer,
but the thread turned out a bit longer than I figured. I keep forgetting
how heated the cw vs no cw arguement can get.

I'd have responded earlier, but yesterday was my birthday and .... well, I
probably consumed enough beer to build a 160 meter half wave beer can
vertical

Fortunately, the better half didn't get upset

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Old May 23rd 05, 12:46 AM
KØHB

Jim Hampton wrote:

I'd have responded earlier, but yesterday was my birthday and ....

well, I
probably consumed enough beer to build a 160 meter half wave beer can
vertical

Ah yes, a vertical 'beverage' antenna! Our FD group had one for 20M,
but we had to quit using it when our FD QTH changed to the football
field of a local High School.

Anyhow, Happy Birthday!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old May 23rd 05, 01:08 AM
John Smith

You ask me "what is wrong with cw?" I ask you, "Why is amateur radio
dying?"--I think the answer to both is a single one--there was a time when
dropping code would have saved ham radio--I fear that time has come and
gone... cw has no real use to anyone, anymore... it is like having to
learn to type to use the internet... no such requirement... however,
because typing DOES have a use--you will find many learning to type after
they realize the need...

.... the "anateur exams" are certainly no hinderence, they always have been
as simple as pie--a college grad trained in the art of "test taking" could
study for a day and pass the most challenging... they have been made even
simplier still... yet amateur radio declined and continues to do so--

.... now "critical mass" has been reached, so many other forms of
communication exist that amateur radio is on its' death march... radios are
so far and few between... and so little demand... they are too expensive
with most to bother with... you could give ham licences away in the streets
and not improve that...

.... no, the OMs' alzheimers and lack of ability to see the future has killed
ham radio--you'd think the old guys must have hated it--to have stood by and
watched it die--if what you say is correct--and they DID have all their
mental facilities about them and still allowed it...

Old May 23rd 05, 04:56 AM
Landshark

In the original post I stated "just for grins".

As far as Alzheimer's disease, I know the change I am due before the kid
punches the cash tendered into the register. I had to chuckle one day
when
the gal punched in as though I had made exact change and had to figure out
what my change was. She had to call a manager!

OMG, she couldn't count backwards? This is what the
future has to look forward too.

I am familiar with how great the Internet is and surf a bit plus am active
in several Yahoo groups. Do you remember 911? I lost my AT&T service for
week as they had some central switching station in there. I had to use my
Juno account as a backup. The radios, however, work - even without mains.
Come to think of it, some of the repeaters work without mains. There are
two of them around here that aren't even connected to the mains!

I have no axe to grind. Oh, it bothers me when a couple of high power
stations are talking across town on 20 meters, however there is no sanity
test for an amateur license. Come to think of it, the same applies to
high
power CBs. It causes interference thousands of miles away.

No test for people in life, you & I both know that

[...]

LOL!!!, the 60's 70 are over big guy

1) Washington Post March
2) Anchors aweigh
3) The Thunderer
4) The Stars and Stripes Forever (my favorite)

I've got others on CDs. From all of the services. Funny, but I have a
feeling that they will be clamoring for "regulation" all of a sudden )

With all due regards from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Oh Yeah................ Go to hear from You Jim.

Landshark

--
Some of them are living an illusion
Bounded by the darkness of their minds,

Old May 23rd 05, 01:09 PM
Steveo

"Jim Hampton" wrote:
I'd have responded earlier, but yesterday was my birthday and .... well,

I probably consumed enough beer to build a 160 meter half wave beer can
vertical

Fortunately, the better half didn't get upset

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Happy belated B-day, Jim. Many more returns! 160 meter half wave, is
that anything like enough beer to float a battleship? g
Old May 24th 05, 12:01 AM
Dan/W4NTI

I have a "use for CW". I use it to communicate with others using the same
mode. I use it to participate in Amateur Radio.

If you or your ilk don't care to do so. Stay the hell off my frequency.

Have a good day idiot.

Dan/W4NTI

Old May 24th 05, 12:15 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"KØHB" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jim Hampton wrote:

I'd have responded earlier, but yesterday was my birthday and ....

well, I
probably consumed enough beer to build a 160 meter half wave beer can
vertical

Ah yes, a vertical 'beverage' antenna! Our FD group had one for 20M,
but we had to quit using it when our FD QTH changed to the football
field of a local High School.

Anyhow, Happy Birthday!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Happy B-day guy.

Our club group built a 3 element 160 meter yagi out of steel beer cans for a
Field Day one year.

Dan/W4NTI

Old May 24th 05, 12:18 AM
Dan/W4NTI

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Jim Hampton" wrote:
I'd have responded earlier, but yesterday was my birthday and .... well,

I probably consumed enough beer to build a 160 meter half wave beer can
vertical

Fortunately, the better half didn't get upset

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

Happy belated B-day, Jim. Many more returns! 160 meter half wave, is
that anything like enough beer to float a battleship? g

Only if it tied to a blivit.

Dan/W4NTI