RadioBanter

-   -   Slow Scan TV (https://www.radiobanter.com/cb/81068-slow-scan-tv.html)

masterblaster777 November 1st 05 03:32 AM

Slow Scan TV

Anyone out there using slow scan tv on cb?

Jan Panteltje November 1st 05 12:28 PM

Slow Scan TV

On a sunny day (Mon, 31 Oct 2005 21:32:19 -0600) it happened masterblaster777
wrote in :

Anyone out there using slow scan tv on cb?

I that allowed? What is stopping you from sending a .jpg at the time with packet?
Say you have 4 kHz bandwidth... not much one can do right?

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

I AmnotGeorgeBush November 1st 05 08:34 PM

Slow Scan TV

From: (masterblaster777)
Anyone out there using slow scan tv on cb?

Yep.

Jan Panteltje November 1st 05 09:35 PM

Slow Scan TV

On a sunny day (Tue, 1 Nov 2005 15:34:43 -0500) it happened
(I AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote in
:

From:
(masterblaster777)
Anyone out there using slow scan tv on cb?

Yep.

How does that work, what system do you use?
How many frames per second, what size image, color?

jim November 2nd 05 01:02 AM

Slow Scan TV

From: (masterblaster777)

Anyone out there using slow scan tv on cb?

Yep.

there was a poster on this board that has done that. iirc they were
using 27.500.

Jan Panteltje November 2nd 05 12:34 PM

Slow Scan TV

On a sunny day (Tue, 01 Nov 2005 20:02:04 -0500) it happened jim

From: (masterblaster777)

Anyone out there using slow scan tv on cb?

Yep.

there was a poster on this board that has done that. iirc they were
using 27.500.

I have typed it in google and found a lot of dead links...
It seems to me (been thinking about this) that best way is go digital,
one could use normal packet at 1200 Bd, a simple .jpg picture in color
of size 352x288 (what many cheap webcams do) gives a VERY good quality
did some tests (Linux webcam software is on my site for Creative Webcam II)
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/mcam/
and now also for the D-Link ethernet webcam:
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/mcamip/
just found an old test:
12520 Jul 4 18:27 mcam.jpg
12520 bytes for a good quality jpg...
So if you could use ALL bandwidth on packet, then that file would go in
12520(bytes) x 8 (bits per byte) / 1200 (bits per second) = 83 seconds.
In reality packet will take longer, especially if noise or interference is
present, then it would re-request transmission endlessly (almost).

One can wonder if in case of multimedia this error correction in the transfer
is needed.
For sure locally a few screwed up bits would still give a picture.
On the other hand digital is extremely sensitive to bit errors.
Different modulation schemes such as used for satellite transmission, and
transport stream format (all small 188 byte packets) would perhaps be an
improvement.

For now the current packet digital network allows transmission of jpg from
webcams.....

Just some thoughts.

I AmnotGeorgeBush November 2nd 05 09:26 PM

Slow Scan TV

From: (Jan*Panteltje)
On a sunny day (Tue, 1 Nov 2005 15:34:43 -0500) it happened
(I AmnotGeorgeBush) wrote in
:
From:
(masterblaster777)
Anyone out there using slow scan tv on cb?

Yep.

How does that work, what system do you use? How many frames per second,
what size image, color?
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

-
Timbo was having at it for a good while. Check the archives. Last I
remember was around 27.620 usb.

November 5th 05 01:24 AM

Slow Scan TV

I had a old Robot SSTV Converter back in the early eighties. Picked it up at
a swap meet for pennies compared to the original price. During it's heyday
you could find amateurs using SSTV but it's like watching a computer webcam
at 14.4 baud.