Old December 3rd 05, 02:41 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.marketplace,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave
cooltube

Default FA: RAY JEFFERSON 630 RADIO DIRECTION FINDING RADIOCheep

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Old December 3rd 05, 10:02 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.marketplace,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

Man I hate spammers. One freaking post is enough.

Cheap? We did a RDF shootout a few years ago. Ray Jeff is the worse.
Hold out for a Bendix. The Ray Jeff is worth $20 tops, and the bidding
is at $27. Hardly cheap.

Old December 4th 05, 10:58 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.marketplace,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave
The Magnum

ups.com...

cooltube wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT

It says its handy for being lost at sea. Hmmm. A compass would also be good
;o) at least the batteries wouldn't go flat. Nice collectors antique
though...

Regards,
Graham
--
_._. _... ._. ._ _.. .. _ _ _

Radio is only a Hobby. Don't let it rule your life...

73's - Graham (www.open-channel.co.uk)

Old December 4th 05, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jay in the Mojave

Hello Magnum:

The RDF (Radio Direction Finding radio) was a blessed tool in the days
before GPS in small boats.

My Dad use to chase after the Albacore Tuna, in the 60's and 70's in a
small 22 foot boat. Many times where several miles off the coast. And
many times I would see him take bearings off his Bendix RDF to check his
position, and figure fuel quantity vs range stuff.

Yeah we had a compass all right but the RDF was used the most. One could
take a bearing off the noise that a city like San diego or Los Angles
would generate. The neat thing about taking a RDF bearing during the
night is that many times we where close enough to shore to see the light
reflecting off the atmosphere, or the light bending over the horizon,
verifying the RFD bearing was a good.

I have the old Bendix RDF today, that I use to RDF noise down from our
local power company noise generating power grid system. I use to have
the kid drive around in the truck and me setting on the tail gate taking
RDF cuts. Usually took a few circles around the neighborhood to find the
offending power pole.

Jay in the Mojave

Old December 4th 05, 02:50 PM posted to alt.ham-radio.marketplace,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave

I see those Ray Jeffs at the flea market quite often. Twenty bucks is
tops. They are not very good for DFing. There was one novelty Ray Jeff
that had a tracking motor in it, not that it worked well either. The
problem is the null in a Ray Jeff is really ****ty.

The Magnum wrote:
ups.com...

Old December 4th 05, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
The Magnum

The Magnum wrote:

It says its handy for being lost at sea. Hmmm. A compass would also be

good
;o) at least the batteries wouldn't go flat. Nice collectors antique
though...

Regards,
Graham

Sounds like an interesting device. I can see its usefulness, as far as
positioning offensive breakers I hadn't considered that but now you mention
it I can. We used to play a game with the larger CB club in our area in the
really early 80's called "Fritz von nastys" where a member of the opposing
club would kidnap someone and then transmit for 1 min every 10 mins for us
to try to track them down. We used positioning of vehicles and poundage
checks with maps and two of us actually had DF loops and it was a hell of a
lot of fun. I could see that device being useful for that too. Shame that it
has disappeared because it bought people closer together in a friendly
working atmosphere. Breakers these days just don't get involved with things
like that anymore. Well that's how it is in England anyhows.

Cheers Jay,
Graham

--
_._. _... ._. ._ _.. .. _ _ _

Old December 4th 05, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
DrDeath

"The Magnum" wrote in message
The Magnum wrote:

[...]

We had a similar game we called CB tag.One person gets 5 mins to hide in
town and the rest of us tried to locate him. I carried a 2 watt walkie
talkie when I thought they were getting close.LOL

Old December 5th 05, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
I AmnotGeorgeBush

From: (The*Magnum)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT
It says its handy for being lost at sea. Hmmm.

A compass would also be good ;o) at least the
batteries wouldn't go flat. Nice collectors

antique though...

Regards,

Graham

I hear ya' on the compass. Besides, ANYONE who takes a boat to sea
should be able to navigate by the stars, including recently licensed
Captains.
--

Old December 14th 05, 01:10 AM posted to alt.ham-radio.marketplace,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.cb,rec.radio.shortwave
John E. Golden

Auctions should be listed in [alt.marketplace.online.ebay]...NOT here!