RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   Receiving Digital TV on Radio (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/135770-receiving-digital-tv-radio.html)

Robert Lee August 15th 08 04:45 PM

Receiving Digital TV on Radio

My Sony ICF-S79V shower radio has a TV band receiver enabling it to
get certain analogue TV broadcasts. Starting Feb. 2009, the U.S. is
switching to digital TV broadcasts. Are there radios capable of receiving
digital broadcasts?

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R August 16th 08 10:42 PM

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:45:09 -0500, Robert Lee wrote:

My Sony ICF-S79V shower radio has a TV band receiver enabling it to get
certain analogue TV broadcasts. Starting Feb. 2009, the U.S. is
switching to digital TV broadcasts. Are there radios capable of
receiving digital broadcasts?

No. The audio in digital TV is digital. But AM and FM will
still work.

--
Chuck Forsberg www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

D. Stussy August 18th 08 01:06 AM

"Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:45:09 -0500, Robert Lee wrote:
My Sony ICF-S79V shower radio has a TV band receiver enabling it to get
certain analogue TV broadcasts. Starting Feb. 2009, the U.S. is
switching to digital TV broadcasts. Are there radios capable of
receiving digital broadcasts?

No. The audio in digital TV is digital. But AM and FM will
still work.

That's NOT what he asked.

I know of no radios under design that will pick up DTV audio.

Brian Kantor August 18th 08 11:01 PM

Receiving Digital TV on Radio

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:45:09 -0500, Robert Lee wrote:
My Sony ICF-S79V shower radio has a TV band receiver enabling it to get
certain analogue TV broadcasts. Starting Feb. 2009, the U.S. is
switching to digital TV broadcasts. Are there radios capable of
receiving digital broadcasts?

The GNU software-defined radio may do so, and there are DTV boards
for amateur service available from various European experimenters.

You might be able to put one of those $40 DTV converter boxes
to use in that way; many have baseband audio outputs.
- Brian