RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   Yaesu VX-8DR: on-board TNC (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/151533-yaesu-vx-8dr-board-tnc.html)

Rob Lingelbach May 27th 10 07:35 AM

Yaesu VX-8DR: on-board TNC

Returning to packet after many years away, will soon have a new radio for VHF/UHF packet. The radio, a Yaesu VX-8DR, includes an AX.25 TNC, yet the specifications and manual only refer to this built-in TNC as a dedicated APRS device. Why can't it also be used with an external input, in the case of packet transceive that is not APRS-related, such that I wouldn't need to use an external TNC between my laptop and the radio? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob KB6CUN

Alan WA4SCA[_3_] May 27th 10 01:14 PM

Yaesu VX-8DR: on-board TNC

Rob,

The short answer is they just didn't build it that way. In talking
with the Yaesu guys at Dayton, I asked why they did not make it
available. The answer was something like, "We get that question a
lot, and Yaesu is looking at whether it can be changed in firmware."

--
Alan
WA4SCA

Rob Lingelbach May 27th 10 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan WA4SCA[_3_] (Post 708107)
Rob,

The short answer is they just didn't build it that way. In talking
with the Yaesu guys at Dayton, I asked why they did not make it
available. The answer was something like, "We get that question a
lot, and Yaesu is looking at whether it can be changed in firmware."

--
Alan
WA4SCA

Thank you for the reply Alan. It would have been a very nice capability and would have made the radio even more attractive.

73
Rob KB6CUN