RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   Sound Card or Serial TNC (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/73731-sound-card-serial-tnc.html)

Jerry June 30th 05 02:22 PM

Sound Card or Serial TNC

I am looking to take the plunge into the world of Digital. I have had some
experience with PACTOR II - Icom 702 while cruising in the Carib --- but
that was just a "plug-and-play" solution for eMail when away from land.

Aside from cost, are there are any major performance / reliability / issues
when comparing Sound card VS serial interfaced TNCs for (other than Pactor)
digital communications. I don't have any particular area of interest
yet ---- just exploring the possibilities. I will be playing around with
APRS, HF and VHF packet and anything else that strikes my fancy.

Thanks

Polymath July 9th 05 06:08 AM

To get "into" the world of digital, you'll need to get your finger "out"!

(Does communication break up or break down?!)