RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   Hinternet? (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/7915-hinternet.html)

Dan Martin July 26th 03 05:25 PM

Hinternet?

Anyone accessing the internet using 802.11b 2.4 Ghz gear and FCC Amateur
Radio Part 97 ?

Dan, AD4PV

S. Sampson July 26th 03 05:36 PM

"Dan Martin" wrote

Anyone accessing the internet using 802.11b 2.4 Ghz gear and FCC Amateur
Radio Part 97 ?

What is it you want to do?

S. Sampson July 26th 03 05:36 PM

"Dan Martin" wrote

Dan Martin July 26th 03 10:24 PM

+++ I would like to share internet broadband with other local hams using
Part 97 power and antenna advantages, as long as it doesn't violate Part 97
regs.

"S. Sampson" wrote in message
.. .
"Dan Martin" wrote

Dan Martin July 26th 03 10:24 PM

+++ I would like to share internet broadband with other local hams using
Part 97 power and antenna advantages, as long as it doesn't violate Part 97
regs.

"S. Sampson" wrote in message
.. .
"Dan Martin" wrote

S. Sampson July 27th 03 03:15 AM

Most Hams wouldn't do this because of the content restrictions
on the bands. As long as you are willing to filter the data, then
this is really no big deal.

Are your local Hams too poor to buy their own Internet connection?

You would probably be in violation of your ISP by doing this. Unless
you have a commercial connection, they usually don't allow you to
share (sub-let) your connection. They would probably terminate your
contract.

"Dan Martin" wrote

+++ I would like to share internet broadband with other local hams using
Part 97 power and antenna advantages, as long as it doesn't violate Part 97
regs.

"Dan Martin" wrote

Dana Myers K6JQ July 27th 03 03:34 AM

Dan Martin wrote:
+++ I would like to share internet broadband with other local hams using
Part 97 power and antenna advantages, as long as it doesn't violate Part 97
regs.

What exactly are the Part 97 advantages?

I'd strongly starting with WiFi under Part 15 limitations,
carefully reading the rules. You might find there aren't
any Part 97 advantages in your case, only disadvantages,
and Part 15 is just fine. Make sure your internet provider
permits you to redistribute access in the TOS.

I'm speaking from experience here.

Dana K6JQ

Dana Myers K6JQ July 27th 03 04:55 AM

I previously wrote:

I'd strongly starting with WiFi under Part 15 limitations,

Of course, I meant, I'd strongly *suggest* start with WiFi under Part 15...

Dana