Old August 4th 03, 02:38 PM
charlesb

Default Broadband over Powerline

Howdy!

Last weekend I attended the Austin, Texas Summerfest, a ham get-together and
the
ARRL West Gulf Division convention. There were about a thousand hams there,
with a great flea-market, and several presentations including one by your
truly on packet radio.

The most interesting presentation was the ARRL president's forum, where ARRL
president Jim Haynie talked to a large room packed with hundreds of hams.
Most of his time was spent talking about the BPL (broadband over powerline)
issue, the most serious threat the hobby has ever encountered.

Mr. Haynie showed us a short film taken in New York state, where the
broadband over powerline system is being tried out on a test basis. The film
was taken by ARRL engineer Ed Hare. It showed Ed driving around the
neighborhood where the BPL system was being tried out, with an HF radio in
his car. He had an HF antenna on the car of course, for the TS-430 he used
for this test.

As Ed drove along, he would slowly turn the dial on the HF rig, across the
20 meter band. At no time could a human voice or digital signal be heard -
only one "birdie" of interference after another, all across the band. Ed
switched over to 15 meters with the same results. No human voice, no CW, no
digital sigs, just "birdies" from the broadband over powerline system that
was being tested.

In the film, ARRL engineer Ed Hare was driving down the street, recieving
interference from powerlines alongside the road. In your hamshack, the
interference will come right into your shack, radiating from all of the
wiring in the walls. - A much worse situation than the one Ed was
demonstrating for us in the film.

If BPL is implemented nationwide, as is being proposed, then US hams will be
wanting to sell their HF equipment to foriegn hams, because the equipment
will be useless here in the United States. We will have to kiss HF Amateur
Radio goodbye.

Considering the damage BPL would do to Ham Radio and several other services
that utilize HF frequencies, with the overwhelming RF pollution it
generates, you would think that the whole thing would be shot down in short
order. - Unfortunately this is not the case. The federal government is under
enormous pressure to make universal broadband Internet access a reality, and
BPL is the only system that shows any potential for delivering this in the
near future.

What Mr. Haynie of the ARRL was telling us was that Ham Radio in the US is
currently in a fight for its life, and it is going to be a very tough fight.

I am sorry to have to report such news, but it needs to get around. This is
a serious situation, requiring a serious response.

President Haynie recommended that hams write thier congressmen, and to
remember to use the word "pollution" when referring to the interference of
BPL, as this term has great weight in washingtons' political circles. Its a
word even a congressman can understand, I suppose!

Also: this would be a good time to join the ARRL if you are not currently a
member. They have some of the political apparatus needed to fight this
battle in Washington, but will need funding. If you are already a member,
consider making a donation.

This is a serious issue.

Charles Brabham, N5PVL
Director: USPacket.Net

http://www.uspacket.net

Old August 6th 03, 02:14 AM
RaOuL

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Charles. However, there are a
large number of Amateurs who don't have access to HF frequencies and for us
this is a non-issue. I play packet on VHF and up because I don't have a
Morse code endorsement. I've tried, but failed the test after countless
hours of studying. So I have resigned myself to use the frequencies I have
access to, to the best of my ability, and have given up on the HF
frequencies that I will never have access to.

Take my advice, give up on HF too. It's a dying allocation with limited
usefulness and only accessible by "elite" hams who can pass a test best left
to dinosaurs.

I won't miss HF when it's gone, but I will enjoy the high speed internet
access when it arrives!

73,
RaOuL

Old August 6th 03, 06:45 PM
Dr. Anton Squeegee

In article , RaOuL
says...

snip

Take my advice, give up on HF too. It's a dying allocation with limited
usefulness and only accessible by "elite" hams who can pass a test best left
to dinosaurs.

It's attitudes like that which endanger the ENTIRE amateur radio
service, not just HF allocations.

Were you around, sir, when, thanks largely to lobbying by UPS,
half of the amateur 220MHz band was taken away? Did you know that UPS
never did a bloody thing with that band, after fighting so hard for it?
In fact, I don't know of ANY commercial radio service that's currently
using that little 2MHz slice that the lobbyists fought so hard for.

Have you been asleep during the arguments about allegedly Part 15
RFID tags and other garbage that the FCC wants to allow in the 430MHz
region?

How about the crap going on at 2.4GHz, with nine zillion types of
cordless phones, wireless Internet, and Lord only knows what else?

I wonder if you'll be just as indifferent when commercial
interests start sniffing around more of the 6m, 2m, and 70cm
allocations? Trust me, they will, unless the amateur radio community, as
a whole, stands up and says "No, we need those bands."

I also find it extremely difficult to believe that someone cannot
copy 5 WPM Morse code. That's all that is required nowadays to get on
HF. Not 13, not 20, not 10. Five lousy words per minute. My 88-year old
father could copy that fast, fercryinoutloud!

I've never thought of myself as "elite." That's silly. I am,
however, bloody proud of my efforts to win my first license (in 1977),
and to upgrade to Extra in 2000. I may not have had to go through the
high-speed CW test, but I can tell you that the written was no picnic,
even for someone with my experience.

I won't miss HF when it's gone, but I will enjoy the high speed internet
access when it arrives!

If you had paid any attention at all in your studies of
electronics and RF theory, you would know that BPL is a massive threat
to HF allocations for EVERY SERVICE that uses them, not just amateur.
We're talking international broadcast, aviation, marine, the works!

Tell you what; We won't miss you when you're gone, either. If
you're so bloody interested in the Internet that you're willing to
sacrifice a huge chunk of the entire HF spectrum to get it through a
known-damaging technology, why in the Multiverse did you even bother to
get your ham ticket?

Come to think of it, why don't you just go turn your ticket in and
stick to the Internet which you are obviously so in love with? If you're
truly as apathetic as you sound, I think the amateur service can easily
do without you.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

Old August 7th 03, 12:58 AM
Paul Hurm

It would seem that "non-radio knowledgeable" consumers are the ones that BPL
is aimed towards. These include the people that don't seem to know that
their cell phones and cordless phones use radio signals. The same for
Bluetooth or WiFi devices they might want to use inside their homes.

Sad to say but interference to the above devices would be more likely to
gain attention than interference to something (hamming) that most people
misunderstand.

I agree that we need to do what we can against this but has anything been
done to test whether this technology will affect "in home" use of devices
mentioned above?

Paul Hurm
N8OT

Old August 9th 03, 05:56 PM
Klaus Kramer

Dr. Anton Squeegee wrote:
In article , RaOuL
says...

snip

Take my advice, give up on HF too. It's a dying allocation with limited
usefulness and only accessible by "elite" hams who can pass a test best left
to dinosaurs.

It's attitudes like that which endanger the ENTIRE amateur radio
service, not just HF allocations.

(snipped name calling)

Hello,

in contrary, exactly your "elitist" CW attitude arm in arm
with your 88-year old father is holding back the needed
young blood from our hobby. One should think that now with
nearly all the world abandoning that antique mode requisite
you would be glad for any help in this deadly BPL matter,
but no, name calling again as ever.
This is the same in Germany, sadly to say, so kiss goodbye,
shortwave AR, hello "Hinternet" (TM by ARRL)...

Klaus, DL4KCK
www.datv-agaf.de

Old August 9th 03, 05:56 PM
Klaus Kramer

Dr. Anton Squeegee wrote:
In article , RaOuL
says...

snip

Old August 11th 03, 06:53 AM
BadWsky

You know, I finally get set up to be able to operate on HF from my
apartment by using CW and the in-the-mud signal digital modes such as
PSK31, 10 and Hell and what do you know this trash-hash comes along!
It is bad enough that I had to deal with light dimmers!
The general public is the most ignorant political animal that has to
be fed for votes. Politicians dread having to go into any type of
teaching mode and they hardly ever bother being educated themselves.
"My constituents" does not include YOU! You weirdo strange noise radio
tuning person!
The politicians are too lazy to take the time to explain to the big
companies that this sceme is harmful to HF reception, that they have
to take the expense to build the infrastrucure of a shielded type of
system. This is the easy way out. The people must have their bread and
circuses. I used to care about the general public until I realized
that they tend to crap where they all eat. Perhaps they don't even
deserve our efforts to help them if they allow this to go through.
It is thumbs down time as we are about to be fed to the lions. It is
all fun and games till someone loses an eye as they said in Rome.
I am going to write my politician if only for amusement purposes.

Anthony WW2W