RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   How Do I Use Radio As A Internet Connection (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/7974-how-do-i-use-radio-internet-connection.html)

MRQuickBoard August 21st 03 11:50 PM

How Do I Use Radio As A Internet Connection

How Do I Use Radio As A Internet Connection, i am wanting to know how i can
use a mobile ham radio and hook it up to a laptop to be able to connect to
the internet so i can use irc chat dont need fast connection speed. would
like to be able to chat on IRC while camping/fishing ware no cell service is
avaiable.

MRQuickBoard August 22nd 03 08:25 PM

Ok Thank You.

"Keith" wrote in message
ink.net...
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:50:14 -0700,
MRQuickBoard in wrote:
How Do I Use Radio As A Internet Connection, i am wanting to know how i

can
use a mobile ham radio and hook it up to a laptop to be able to connect

the internet so i can use irc chat dont need fast connection speed.

would
like to be able to chat on IRC while camping/fishing ware no cell

service is
avaiable.

Your best bet is to use 802.11 to do this for local
use. In hjam radio you just need to set up a box with
the approarate software and connection. You can use
Linux to do this with and a packet controller. You will
need a clear frequency and a minimum speed of 9600 for
best results.

--
Best Regards, Keith AOL IM:kilowattradio
NW Oregon Radio http://kilowatt-radio.org/

MRQuickBoard August 22nd 03 08:28 PM

That is why i am asking if it can be done if it cannot be done then i wont
do it and stay away from ham radio. don't want to waste my money getting a
license or the time to study if it cannot be done.

charlesb August 22nd 03 11:37 PM

"MRQuickBoard" wrote in message
That is why i am asking if it can be done if it cannot be done then i wont
do it and stay away from ham radio. don't want to waste my money getting a
license or the time to study if it cannot be done.

Don't waste your time or money. The Ham Radio hobby is for people who have a
genuine interest in radio. It is not a communications carrier or a back door
to getting freebee services. Generally, the "freebee" services ham radio
provide require a substantial investment in both personal time and money in
order to exist or to be utilized. If you don't have a particular interest in
radio, you will find that ham radio is ultimately unsatisfying. You have to
learn a bunch of stuff, work cooperatively with other people, follow and
respect not only the FCC rules but ham radio's "gentlemen's agreements" as
well. Many people will expect you to show an interest in community service.

You have made it plain that your interest in ham radio only goes as far as
what kind of "freebee" it might give you... That's not really a good enough
reason to go through the effort. You'd be better off without ham radio, and
ham radio would be better off without you.

I'd say your best bet is to go with plan "B"; something that does not
involve ham radio.

Charles, N5PVL

Dr. Anton Squeegee August 23rd 03 01:34 AM

In article , MRQuickBoard says...

That is why i am asking if it can be done if it cannot be done then i wont
do it and stay away from ham radio. don't want to waste my money getting a
license or the time to study if it cannot be done.

It's not a question of whether it CAN be done. In the technical
sense, of course it can. The question is whether what you want to do is
applicable to the real purposes of the amateur radio service.

I will add that getting wireless access to the Internet is not why
the service exists. You would know this if you had taken the time to do
some basic research with Part 97 of the FCC regs, or visited ARRL.org
and read 'The Amateur's Code.'

If you don't like the thought of helping to serve the real
purposes of amateur radio (helping with disaster and other emergency
communications, teaching a ham radio class, developing the skills and
acquiring the tools necessary to tinker with radio and related
electronic hardware, etc.), then you would be well advised to steer
clear of the amateur service.

In short: If all you really want is wireless Internet access, pop
down to your local CompUSA or whoever, and pick up the hardware to do
it. Anyone who wants to can buy it, no license required.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)