Old November 14th 03, 09:09 PM
Douglas Harrington

Default WINAPRS... Can I Use USB With It?

Hello...
I am looking to purchase a Dell Inspiron 1100 notebook PC within the
next day or two. I noticed that it does NOT have a serial port, but
does have USB 2.0 ports (along with 56 Kbps modem port and Ethernet
port). Im not sure how to configure WinAPRS (or if i can) to use a
USB port rather than look for a serial port. I would buy a serial --
USB adapter to connect my radio to it. I plan on buying the radio
next year, a TM-D700A mobile radio and using the internal TNC with
WinAPRS for mobile APRS operation. Will this work? Possible to use
USB 2.0 ports with WinAPRS? Any information greatly appreciated.

Douglas Harrington
Seekonk, MA, USA
ARS KB1JEC
Old November 14th 03, 09:17 PM
Mike Andrews

Douglas Harrington wrote:
Hello...
I am looking to purchase a Dell Inspiron 1100 notebook PC within the
next day or two. I noticed that it does NOT have a serial port, but
does have USB 2.0 ports (along with 56 Kbps modem port and Ethernet
port). Im not sure how to configure WinAPRS (or if i can) to use a
USB port rather than look for a serial port. I would buy a serial --
USB adapter to connect my radio to it. I plan on buying the radio
next year, a TM-D700A mobile radio and using the internal TNC with
WinAPRS for mobile APRS operation. Will this work? Possible to use
USB 2.0 ports with WinAPRS? Any information greatly appreciated.

All the USB-to-Serial adapters I've seen have come with drivers that
appear as a serial interface to the program.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin
Old November 15th 03, 04:08 AM
VHFRadioBuff

I use a USB external modem. When plugged in, the computer automatically
assigned the modem COM3, no special adapters needed. I would think plugging a
TNC in would have a similar affect.

Then again, I've never heard of a computer without a serial port. That is a bit
strange.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
73! de Andy KC2SSB - WPYI880 (GMRS)
Beachwood, NJ USA! Grid FM29vw
http://vhfradiobuff.tripod.com
Old November 17th 03, 07:59 PM
Mike Andrews

VHFRadioBuff wrote:
I use a USB external modem. When plugged in, the computer automatically
assigned the modem COM3, no special adapters needed. I would think plugging a
TNC in would have a similar affect.

Then again, I've never heard of a computer without a serial port. That is a bit
strange.

They're fairly common now. My wife's work laptop has no serial port,
just USB, Ethernet, monitor output, and some weird DIN-like thing
that *isn't* a mouse or KB port.

--
Mike Andrews, quondam WN5EGO, futurus W5EGO.

Tired old sysadmin
Old November 17th 03, 10:09 PM
Jack Twilley

Old November 17th 03, 10:09 PM