RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   RigBlaster and FreeBSD (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/8293-rigblaster-freebsd.html)

Jack Twilley January 26th 04 09:28 PM

RigBlaster and FreeBSD

Mike Andrews January 26th 04 09:39 PM

Jack Twilley wrote:

I've looked over the West Mountain website and I can't see anything
about how to make the RigBlaster run on FreeBSD. It's something I'd
need to know before buying one, obviously. Anyone here have any
experience with something like this?

Since we're not in an airport, I feel free to say this:

Hi, Jack.

If it'll run on Linux, then the Linux-compatibility stuff in
FreeBSD will run it very nicely -- except for a _very_ few
things.

--
"Why are we hiding from the police, daddy?"

"Because we use vi, son, and they use emacs."

S. Sampson January 26th 04 11:15 PM

The rigblaster just uses the DTR and RTS signals of a serial port.

Here's some code I wrote in Linux to play with mine. It basically
just changes the state of the DTR and RTS signals.

Steve

"Jack Twilley" wrote

I've looked over the West Mountain website and I can't see anything
about how to make the RigBlaster run on FreeBSD. It's something I'd
need to know before buying one, obviously. Anyone here have any
experience with something like this?

/*
* repeater.c
*
* This module controls the RTS pin 5 signal of the DB-25,
* or pin 7 of the DB-9 connector, and the DCD pin 8 of the
* DB-25, or pin 1 of the DB-9.
*
* The RTS signal is used to control the Push-To-Talk (PTT),
* and the DCD signal is used to detect the Carrier Operated
* Squelch (COS) of a Radio Repeater.
*
* Tested with Red Hat Linux 6.2 (Kernel 2.2.14)
*
* Compile with: cc -O -s repeater.c -o repeater
*/

/* Includes */

#include stdio.h
#include unistd.h
#include fcntl.h
#include sys/ioctl.h /* TIO stuff in bits/ioctl.h and asm/ioctl.h */
#include sys/time.h
#include sys/types.h
#include termios.h
#include errno.h
#include string.h
#include signal.h

/* Defines */

typedef unsigned char BYTE;

#define FALSE (0)
#define TRUE (!FALSE)

/* Globals */

int fd;
int terminate = FALSE;
int port_signal;
int state_tx;
char portname[16];

/* Subroutines */

void intHandler(int signum)
{
terminate = TRUE;
}

void killHandler(int signum)
{
exit(0);
}

/*
* Wait up to sec seconds for file descriptor fd
* to become readable
*
* if sec is 0, returns immediately
*
* returns:
*
* 0 if descriptor is readable
* 0 if error (errno set by select())
* == 0 if timeout
*/

int timeout(int fd, int sec)
{
struct timeval tv;
fd_set rset;

FD_ZERO(&rset);
FD_SET(fd, &rset);

tv.tv_sec = sec;
tv.tv_usec = 0;

return (select(fd+1, &rset, NULL, NULL, &tv));
}

/* Main Program */

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
struct timeval tv;
int port;
pid_t pid;

if (argc != 2)
{
fprintf(stderr, "Usage: repeater port\n");
fprintf(stderr, "Where ports 1 through 4 are valid\n");
exit(1);
}

port = atoi(argv[1]) - 1;

if (port 0 || port 3)
{
fprintf(stderr, "Valid ports are 1 through 4\n");
exit(2);
}

sprintf(portname, "/dev/ttyS%d", port);

if ((fd = open(portname, O_RDWR | O_NONBLOCK)) 0)
{
perror(portname);
exit(3);
}

/*
* Don't need these anymore
*/

close(0);close(1);close(2);

port_signal = TIOCM_RTS;

/*
* Bail out on Terminate Signal (kill -15)
*/

signal(SIGTERM, intHandler);

/*
* Daemonize
*/

if ((pid = fork()) 0) /* Error */
{
perror("daemonize");
exit(5);
}

if (pid != 0) {
/*
* Parent Process, so Exit
*/

exit(0);
}

/*
* Child process continues
*
* Fork a second time into control and timer
*/

if ((pid = fork()) 0) /* Error */
{
perror("repeater fork");
exit(6);
}

if (pid == 0) /* Child Process */
{
/*
* Timer process
*
* Set 9 minute, 3 minute, and 30 sec timers
*/

strcpy(argv[0], "Repeater Timer");

signal(SIGTERM, killHandler);

for (;;)
{
}
}

if (pid != 0 ) /* Parent Process */
{
/*
* While the COS signal on the DCD line is true
* enable the PTT signal on the RTS line.
*/

strcpy(argv[0], "Repeater Control");

for (;;)
{
int status;

if (terminate) {
state_tx = 0;
ioctl(fd, TIOCMBIC, &port_signal); /* clear */
kill(pid, SIGTERM);
sleep(1);
close(fd);
exit(0);
}

ioctl(fd, TIOCMGET, &status); /* get Modem bits */

if ((status & TIOCM_CAR) && !state_tx)
{
state_tx = 1;
ioctl(fd, TIOCMBIS, &port_signal); /* set */
}

if (!(status & TIOCM_CAR) && state_tx)
{

Jack Twilley January 27th 04 09:02 AM

Jack Twilley January 27th 04 09:02 AM

Jack Twilley January 27th 04 09:14 AM

Jack Twilley January 27th 04 09:14 AM

Roger January 27th 04 09:43 AM

Jack Twilley wrote on 27/01/2004 09:14:

Steve The rigblaster just uses the DTR and RTS signals of a serial
Steve port. Here's some code I wrote in Linux to play with mine. It
Steve basically just changes the state of the DTR and RTS signals.

Thanks for the code segment. I may have asked the wrong question.

Here's another try: can this box do everything a good TNC can do, and
what modifications need to be made to programs that expect a standard
TNC?

It's nothing like a TNC - it's basically just a switch / cable connecter
for use with sound card modem programs. (It tells you that on the web page.)

--
Roger Barker, G4IDE -
For UI-View go to -

user January 27th 04 01:14 PM

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:14:17 -0800, Jack Twilley wrote:

"Steve" == S Sampson writes:

Steve The rigblaster just uses the DTR and RTS signals of a serial
Steve port. Here's some code I wrote in Linux to play with mine. It
Steve basically just changes the state of the DTR and RTS signals.

Thanks for the code segment. I may have asked the wrong question.

Here's another try: can this box do everything a good TNC can do, and
what modifications need to be made to programs that expect a standard
TNC?

I think you're severely confused about what the rigblaster is...
it's a serial interface, used primarily to assert PTT and do
some audio level management for digital modes. It has
absolutely nothing even REMOTELY close to having TNC
functionality.

S. Sampson January 27th 04 01:33 PM

"Jack Twilley" wrote

Thanks for the code segment. I may have asked the wrong question.

Here's another try: can this box do everything a good TNC can do, and
what modifications need to be made to programs that expect a standard
TNC?

No. The rigblaster (and the rascal--I own both) are merely soundcard
interfaces. That is, they have transformers to isolate the audio circuits, and relays
to operate the PTT. The rigblaster is popular for its professional look
and adjustments, while the rascal is popular because it is cheap and can be
thrown behind the table. Both are just audio and relay devices, and there is
no TNC in them. The TNC is the Linux/FreeBSD computer.

I haven't messed with TNC's since I ran JNOS on a linux box (about 10 years
ago), and now pretty much have my rascal on my windows box with either
AGWPE for my APRS soundcard interface, or the various soundcard digital
modes (MT63, PSK31, etc). As a matter of fact I took all my TNC's to a
swap meet and sold the whole box for $5 (and it took about 2 hours to find a
buyer). About the only stuff I have left is a couple of 19k baud Kantronics
Radios and DRSI modems that were crap when they were new :-)

Jack Twilley January 27th 04 08:08 PM

Jack Twilley January 27th 04 08:08 PM

Jack Twilley January 28th 04 03:48 AM

Jack Twilley January 28th 04 03:48 AM

Marco S Hyman January 28th 04 06:25 PM

Jack Twilley writes:

It's not really on topic for rradm, but I'd also like to hear from
anyone who has any Linux/Unix software to generate those pretty
"waterfall" displays I've seen on Windows software packages.

At one time I had linpsk running on OpenBSD, so it probably wouldn't
be too hard to get running on FreeBSD. A screenshot is at:

http://linpsk.sourceforge.net/screen...npsk-0.7.1.png

Is that the display you were looking for? http://linpsk.sourceforge.net/

// marc

Jack Twilley January 28th 04 09:22 PM

Jack Twilley January 28th 04 09:22 PM

Steve Ahrendt January 8th 06 12:12 AM

RigBlaster and FreeBSD

Jack Twilley wrote:

"Bob" == Bob Nielsen writes:

Jack That explains a lot. I understand a little more now. What Unix
Jack software do you use for TNC purposes? I see a bunch of Windows
Jack support, but there's no obvious documentation or example code
Jack for Unix boxes. I have read that the RigBlaster comes with CDs
Jack of software, but there's no specifications out there that I can
Jack see.

Bob I don't know about FreeBSD, but most of the soundcard digital
Bob modes are supported in Linux. See http://radio.linux.org.au for
Bob appropriate links. To emulate a TNC, use soundmodem (originally
Bob a kernel driver, now a standalone user program which talks to the
Bob sound drivers) in conjunction with kernel AX.25 support (plus
Bob libax25, ax25-apps and ax25-tools).

Kernel drivers are bad news for me. I'll look into the user-level
soundmodem to see how it works and if anyone's already tried to make
it go on FreeBSD.

It's not really on topic for rradm, but I'd also like to hear from
anyone who has any Linux/Unix software to generate those pretty
"waterfall" displays I've seen on Windows software packages.

REALLY late but for the record here is a list of FreeBSD ham software I
compiled.

Port: cwdaemon-0.9.2 Path: /usr/ports/comms/cwdaemon
Info: Amateur Radio cw (morse code) keyer daemon
Maint:
WWW:
http://pg4i.mattsnetwork.co.uk/linux/cwdaemon.html

Port: echolinux-0.16a_2 Path: /usr/ports/comms/echolinux
Info: Amateur Radio Echolink client for UNIX
Maint:
WWW:
http://cqinet.sourceforge.net/

Port: gpredict-0.5.1 Path: /usr/ports/comms/gpredict
Info: Amateur Radio satellite tracking and prediction
Maint:
WWW:
http://groundstation.sourceforge.net/

Port: grig-0.2.2_3 Path: /usr/ports/comms/grig
Info: Amateur Radio control front-end
Maint:
WWW:
http://groundstation.sourceforge.net/

Port: hamlib-1.2.2 Path: /usr/ports/comms/hamlib
Info: Shared libraries for Amateur Radio Equipment Control Applications
Maint:
WWW:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hamlib

Port: linrad-0.16a Path: /usr/ports/comms/linrad
Info: Amateur Radio DSP utility (SDR)
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.nitehawk.com/sm5bsz/linuxdsp/linrad.htm

Port: locator-0.1 Path: /usr/ports/comms/locator
Info: Grid square calculator program used in Amateur Radio and GPS work
Maint:
WWW:

Port: nasawash-0.50 Path: /usr/ports/comms/nasawash
Info: Amateur Radio keplerian file cleanup program
Maint:

WWW:
http://www.amsat.org

Port: predict-2.2.2 Path: /usr/ports/comms/predict
Info: Satellite tracking program for amateur radio satellites
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/predict.html

Port: qsstv-6.0a Path: /usr/ports/comms/qsstv
Info: Amateur Radio SSTV/FAX reception program for unix
Maint:
WWW:
http://users.pandora.be/on1mh/

Port: thebridge-0.72 Path: /usr/ports/comms/thebridge
Info: Amateur Radio Echolink conference bridge
Maint:
WWW:
http://cqinet.sourceforge.net/

Port: tlf-0.9.19 Path: /usr/ports/comms/tlf
Info: Amateur Radio curses based logging program
Maint:
WWW:
http://home.iae.nl/users/reinc/TLF-0.2.html

Port: trustedqsl-1.11 Path: /usr/ports/comms/trustedqsl
Info: Amateur Radio Station electronic trusted logbook
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.trustedqsl.org

Port: wwl-1.2 Path: /usr/ports/comms/wwl
Info: Calculates distance (qrb) used in Amateur Radio
Maint:
WWW:

Port: xastir-1.7.0 Path: /usr/ports/comms/xastir
Info: X Amateur Station Tracking and Information Reporting
Maint:

WWW:
http://www.xastir.org/

Port: xdx-1.2_3 Path: /usr/ports/comms/xdx
Info: Amateur Radio DX cluster monitor
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.qsl.net/pg4i/linux/xdx.html

Port: xlog-1.3 Path: /usr/ports/comms/xlog
Info: Amateur Radio logging application
Maint:
WWW:
http://pg4i.mattsnetwork.co.uk/linux/xlog.html

Port: aldo-0.6.11 Path: /usr/ports/comms/aldo
Info: Morse code training program
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.nongnu.org/aldo/

Port: p5-Convert-Morse-0.04 Path:
/usr/ports/converters/p5-Convert-Morse
Info: Perl module to convert between ASCII and Morse codes
Maint:
WWW:
http://search.cpan.org/dist/Convert-Morse/

Port: cwtext-0.94_1 Path: /usr/ports/textproc/cwtext
Info: Morse Code Generator
Maint:
WWW:
http://cwtext.sourceforge.net/

Port: acfax-0.981011_1 Path: /usr/ports/comms/acfax
Info: Recieve faxes using sound card and radio
Maint:
WWW:

Port: hamfax-0.6.4 Path: /usr/ports/comms/hamfax
Info: QT application for sending and receiving facsimiles over radio
Maint:

WWW:
http://hamfax.sourceforge.net/

Port: kpsk-1.0_4 Path: /usr/ports/comms/kpsk
Info: A PSK31 digital radio communications application for the KDE
Maint:
WWW:
http://kpsk.sourceforge.net/

Port: nec2c-.9 Path: /usr/ports/comms/nec2c
Info: Used to calculate antenna patterns useful to ham radio
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.si-list.org/swindex2.html#nec2c

Port: splat-1.1.0 Path: /usr/ports/comms/splat
Info: Used in calculating path losses, useful to ham radio and others
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.qsl.net/kd2bd/splat.html

Port: yagiuda-1.19 Path: /usr/ports/comms/yagiuda
Info: Used to calculate yagi-uda antenna patterns useful to ham radio
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.g8wrb.org/yagi/index.html

Port: sattrack-3.1.6 Path: /usr/ports/astro/sattrack
Info: Real-time satellite tracking and orbit propagation program
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.bester.com/

Port: klog-0.3.2_1 Path: /usr/ports/comms/klog
Info: ADIF compatible logging application
Maint:
WWW:
http://klog.berlios.de/

Port: qtpcr-1.1.3_1 Path: /usr/ports/comms/qtpcr
Info: Software that controls the ICOM PCR-1000 Receiver
Maint:
WWW:
http://www.physics.purdue.edu/~teepanis/qtpcr/

Port: gpsk31-0.3 Path: /usr/ports/comms/gpsk31
Info: A gtk psk31 client
Maint:
WWW:

Port: kpsk-1.0_4 Path: /usr/ports/comms/kpsk
Info: A PSK31 digital radio communications application for the KDE
Maint:

WWW:
http://kpsk.sourceforge.net/

Port: linpsk-0.8.1_1 Path: /usr/ports/comms/linpsk
Info: A qt psk31 client
Maint:
WWW:
http://linpsk.sourceforge.net/

Port: twpsk-2.1 Path: /usr/ports/comms/twpsk
Info: A openmotif X psk31 client
Maint:
WWW:

73,