RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   APRS Safety Question (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/8322-aprs-safety-question.html)

peter berrett February 7th 04 10:17 AM

APRS Safety Question

Hi all

I have been looking at the use of APRS over packet radio and noted that many
Amateurs now have mobile installations in their cars both for fun and to
assist in tracking the vehicle should it get stolen.

This is quite an appealing idea however I do have one concern that I hope an
experienced mobile APRS user could assist me with.

When one visits petrol/gas stations here in Australia one sees signs saying
to switch off one's mobile phone as the electromagnetic radiation could
cause a spark and ignite fuel vapour. It has made me wonder how to make APRS
safe so that should you be filling up your car at a gas station you can be
assured that a regular APRS update from your mobile APRS setup won't run a
risk of causing a fire.

Have APRS users considered this possibility and what precaustions, if any,
are taken to deal with this problem?

cheers Peter

Roger February 7th 04 10:35 AM

peter berrett wrote on 07/02/2004 10:17:

I have been looking at the use of APRS over packet radio and noted that many
Amateurs now have mobile installations in their cars both for fun and to
assist in tracking the vehicle should it get stolen.

This is quite an appealing idea however I do have one concern that I hope an
experienced mobile APRS user could assist me with.

When one visits petrol/gas stations here in Australia one sees signs saying
to switch off one's mobile phone as the electromagnetic radiation could
cause a spark and ignite fuel vapour. It has made me wonder how to make APRS
safe so that should you be filling up your car at a gas station you can be
assured that a regular APRS update from your mobile APRS setup won't run a
risk of causing a fire.

Have APRS users considered this possibility and what precaustions, if any,
are taken to deal with this problem?

This works well for me - Lean slightly forward, apply gentle pressure
with index finger to button on radio labelled PWR.

--
Roger Barker, G4IDE -
For UI-View go to -

peter berrett February 7th 04 10:55 AM

Droll... very droll...

Trouble is that there is still a risk that just as pull into the station you
transmit a signal and somebody filling up on the other side of your pump
gets toasted.

Seriously how are most mobile packet setups wired? Are they wired into the
ignition which would turn the radio off when you turn off the engine? The
problem with this is that if someone steals your car and parks it somewhere
you won't be able to determine its location.

I'd be keen to hear how people wire and use their mobile setups.

Thanks Peter

Roger February 7th 04 11:43 AM

peter berrett wrote on 07/02/2004 10:55:

Droll... very droll...

Trouble is that there is still a risk that just as pull into the station you
transmit a signal and somebody filling up on the other side of your pump
gets toasted.

Then switch it off before you go into the filling station.

Seriously how are most mobile packet setups wired? Are they wired into the
ignition which would turn the radio off when you turn off the engine? The
problem with this is that if someone steals your car and parks it somewhere
you won't be able to determine its location.

I think you may be misunderstanding something - Most mobile APRS
installations use a transceiver and a normal ham antenna, they are not
clandestine installations. So if someone steals your car, unless they
are stupid, they will very probably switch it off.

However, wiring it via the ignition does not solve your perceived
problem, unless you are in the habit of switching off the engine and
coasting up to the pump!

[snip]

Mark Carroll February 7th 04 02:11 PM

In article ,
peter berrett wrote:
(snip)
Trouble is that there is still a risk that just as pull into the station you
transmit a signal and somebody filling up on the other side of your pump
gets toasted.

(snip)

How would this happen? Could there really be sparking from the aerial
or something (which you think you'd notice because it might interfere
with your radio operation) or could it just get really hot? Is the
idea that the EM radiation alone could cause ignition? I just have a
hard time understanding this risk - the only blowing-up instances I'm
aware of involved naked flames, yet you'd have thought that cars were
inherently full of spark potential anyway being full of metal bits
with high-current wiring.

-- Mark

Mike Luther February 7th 04 02:45 PM

The issue of filling station fires and explosions from cell phone use
has been extensively investigated per what I think was a complete PBS
program on this that I watched. In short, at cell phone power levels,
they were totally unable to provoke explosions or fires from arcing or
whatever.

What they did discover is that the real problem with explosions and
fires at filling stations, other than the obvious like smoking and other
open flames, was in the static issue from people sliding off car seats!
The build-up of static electricity on the person's body getting out of
the vehicle and the resultant spark when they discharged to whatever the
next touched, or brushed, was the very surprising and real danger of
explosions and fires in filling station accidents.

And on another note, per my long ago training in aviation safety as a
long time flight instructor here in the USA, ambient temperature is
related to this in an interesting way. As the temperature goes down,
way down, the gasoline vapor ignition hazard goes down and the jet fuel
hazard goes up! Haven't thought about extending that thought to modern
auto-life. But one would think that if you are way down in temperature,
a diesel vehicle owner would be more at risk from swishing across a neat
cloth seat than a gasoline vehicle owner. Per the article seen, at
cell phone power levels and around that, one can pretty well forget
causing havoc with them. I'm not passing judgement here, wouldn't yap
on a device in a service station anyway. Just passing on what I saw on TV.

W5WQN

peter berrett wrote:

[...]

-- Sleep well; OS2's still awake! ;)

Mike Luther

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee February 8th 04 12:55 AM

In article ,
says...

snippety

I think the degree of work I've done with my van qualifies as
"experienced," so I'll be happy to answer on this. ;-)

When one visits petrol/gas stations here in Australia one sees signs saying
to switch off one's mobile phone as the electromagnetic radiation could
cause a spark and ignite fuel vapour. It has made me wonder how to make APRS
safe so that should you be filling up your car at a gas station you can be
assured that a regular APRS update from your mobile APRS setup won't run a
risk of causing a fire.

The "RF sources causing a spark which causes ignition" is, as far
as I can tell, little more than a modern myth. Static electric discharge
is far more likely to cause ignition than any RF source of the power
levels that amateur or cellular equipment puts out.

For example: You pull up to the pump, get out, start the fuel
going. The biggest and most dangerous mistake you can then possibly
make, especially if you're wearing synthetic-laden clothing and/or
shoes, is to get back in your car to do something, then get back out and
touch the metal of the fuel dispenser handle.

The effect is the exact same thing as scuffing your feet on a
carpet, or getting up out of a synthetic chair, and touching a doorknob.
ZAPP!! With a big enough spark, and enough fuel vapor around the filler
port, you could easily cause a small fire or risk of an explosion.

Best possible thing you can do: Touch the metal body of your car
at least a foot or so away from the filler port BEFORE you touch the
pump dispenser.

Have APRS users considered this possibility and what precaustions, if any,
are taken to deal with this problem?

Well, I make it a point to touch body metal, away from the filler
pipe, before I touch the pump dispenser handle. That, and I make it a
habit of never getting back into the car between the time I start and
stop fueling.

I have also left my own 25-watt APRS transceiver powered and
operational during many fuel stops. Never once did I feel the least
threatened by it, and never once has it caused a problem.

Worry about ESD. It's a far greater threat than any RF source.

--
Dr. Anton Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)

S. Sampson February 9th 04 01:42 PM

I see State Police cars filling up every day. They have 10 times the RF
and radios that Hams could ever imagine.

S. Sampson February 9th 04 01:42 PM

AA February 9th 04 02:08 PM

Then switch it off before you go into the filling station.
And how close to the tanks could one be without switching off?
How about passing the station on the street, possibly with the tank vent
pipes between the street (i.e. yourself) and the pumps?

The major problem you'd have is static electricity. RF will pose no problem in
the normal amounts emitted by a standard mobile rig (i.e., 5-50 wts). The
ignition method most commonly seen is static buildup, person does not discharge
against the car body before touching the nozzle (grounded to the pump via the
hose...it has a wire mesh and/or grounding wire built into it). Nice spark
results, as does ignition of the vapors. One thing that was noted....women
are more likely to have this happen...best guess is due to two reasons. One,
material in clothing may be higher in static-generating capability. Second, on
cold days, women tend to return to the car and wait for the tank to fill. When
they get out, they're a nice static source looking for a ground. The nozzle
provides that.

As for RF, we used to use an old Clegg FM27B to test the electronics (faraday
chamber)....never had any fuel ignition problems, and the lockup problems were
mostly due to ground loop situations which were resonant on some more commonly
used frequency, such as 400 mhz +/-. Drove one prototype unit nuts until the
chief engineer (also a ham) happened to key his 70cm rig when sitting by the
unit. Turns out the local police liked the donuts sold at the station......

(ex-R&D/Sales at a pump company)

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee February 9th 04 03:18 PM

In article ,
says...

Hi again

It looks like I've started World War III with this topic.

This can happen on Usenet. Please don't top-post. I lost the
context of the specific message you were replying to because you did so.

I think it is a shame that some are glossing over the topic because safety
with petroleum is a serious issue. Maybe APRS does not pose a hazard but the
topic deserves serious discussion.

Of course it's a serious issue. It's just that electrostatic
discharge is a far greater hazard around filling stations than any
amount of RF energy would be.

The bottom line is that you should worry more about what you're
wearing, and whether your body is carrying a static charge, than about
whether you've got an active transmitter. The signs you see are
presenting more disinformation than anything else, and I'm sorry that
those who mandated they be put in place didn't do their homework a
little better.

73 de KC7GR

[email protected] February 9th 04 03:53 PM

peter berrett wrote:
[...]

Urban legend.

See http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/gasvapor.asp for a full discussion.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.

[email protected] February 10th 04 11:45 PM

Would not even need a laptop; just a Palm to do this.

You could even use a PalmPhone, and add to it a "kill switch" on the
ignition, a flow restictor on the gas (won't go over 10kph) or a "park lock
override" on the transmission (if automatic) which would prevent the
vehicle from getting out of Park.

Would take the fun out of using APRS, but you'd get your car back a lot
faster.

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:42:27 +1100, "peter berrett"
wrote:
snip

Equipment:

1 x old notebook computer with sound card to act as modem
1 x mouse gps - usb connection
1 x 2m ht

The idea is that the ht would sit on 144.900 mhz and listen for aprs
packets. It would however only supply an aprs packet if polled remotely (ie
you have to send it a special code to start transmitting aprs packets)
however so most of the time there is no transmission. If you fill up at a
pretrol station there is no danger because your setup is not transmitting at
all.

Say your car gets stolen. You send a particular code through the aprs system
and tell the notebook computer to start transmitting aprs packets every
minute. You then track the car until the police catch up with it.

Workable but safe?

Very safe. The story about risk at petrol stations form RF has been
disproven as an Urban Legend.

cheers Peter

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.

DxxxxxBxx February 11th 04 02:29 AM

Man, you're in big trouble if the wife knows you're on the Internet
spouting that women give off more static than men!

On 09 Feb 2004 14:08:55 GMT, (AA) wrote:

[...]

Spammers, please send email to:

and get your SMTP server blacklisted!

DxxxxxBxx February 11th 04 02:32 AM

I agree with the comment at the end. I'm no lawyer, but what about
the liability you have by activating a transmitter in a stolen car and
blowing up the thief and a gas station?

Are there laws against booby-trapping cars?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 18:45:41 GMT, Jim Higgins wrote:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 22:42:27 +1100, in
, "peter berrett"
wrote:

Hi again

It looks like I've started World War III with this topic.

I think it is a shame that some are glossing over the topic because safety
with petroleum is a serious issue. Maybe APRS does not pose a hazard but the
topic deserves serious discussion.

Perhaps... but except for a few who have done some research and
posted that the original premise was nothing but an urban legend
to begin with, the most it's getting here is speculation.

[snip]

Say your car gets stolen. You send a particular code through the aprs system
and tell the notebook computer to start transmitting aprs packets every
minute. You then track the car until the police catch up with it.

Workable but safe?

Pretending for a moment the original premise is true... what
happens if the thief decides to gas up the stolen car? I don't
think this solution shows proper safety consideration for all the
children that might be killed by it. ;-)

Charles Brabham February 11th 04 02:50 AM

"DxxxxxBxx" wrote in message

Are there laws against booby-trapping cars?

No, we have had women drivers for years, now.

Charles, N5PVL

Charles Brabham February 11th 04 02:50 AM

peter berrett February 11th 04 01:16 PM

Last year my car was stolen in St Kilda and was found 6 months later parked
about 10 blocks east of where it was stolen. An APRS system would have been
very useful.

I also dream about somebody stealing my car so I use APRS to track where it
is and advise the Police. Then when they give me the signal I kill the
engine by remote control and possibly have a digital camera installed in the
car to photograph the driver.

:)

Could be fun. I'd almost want someone to steal my car!

cheers Peter

AA February 11th 04 01:24 PM

Man, you're in big trouble if the wife knows you're on the Internet spouting
that women give off more static than men!

Heh...can you say "Tesla Generator?"

One thing that was noted....women
are more likely to have this happen...best guess is due to two reasons. One,
material in clothing may be higher in static-generating capability.

Ah, sometimes the truth hurts.......ME! (Ouch, hon, PLEASE quit hitting me
with that frying pan....!)

B USERED February 19th 04 05:01 PM

I don't believe you'd REALLY blast someone at another petrol pump -- isn't that an urban (or rural) legend?

B USERED February 19th 04 05:01 PM

I don't believe you'd REALLY blast someone at another petrol pump -- isn't that an urban (or rural) legend?