RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   Internet gateways (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/8342-internet-gateways.html)

Mark Carroll January 30th 04 06:37 PM

Internet gateways

I am curious about the Internet gateways that can take 44/8 IP traffic
and send it across the Internet to another gateway elsewhere in the
world to be rebroadcast, to help the 44/8 traffic get to its
destination. (I'm not sure how well-connected all 44/8 users are by
radio links alone, or how tough long-distance routing is.)

I was wondering: how does a gateway know if/where to forward a given
IP packet destined for some remote 44/8 operator? Is there some
directory of non-AMPRNet IP addresses of gateways, and which AMPRNet
segments they're good for, so that the AMRPNet-Internet gateway can
pick a helpful and cooperative Internet-AMRPNet gateway?

-- Mark