RadioBanter

-   Digital (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/)
-   -   WiFi packet on the 2390-2450Mhz band? (https://www.radiobanter.com/digital/84126-wifi-packet-2390-2450mhz-band.html)

wa2ise December 12th 05 01:38 AM

WiFi packet on the 2390-2450Mhz band?

802.11b and 802.11g WiFi networking equipment operates at a range of
frequencies from 2.412 GHz to 2.462 GHz. There's a ham band at 2390 to
2450, and it looks like there's some overlap here. Usually wifi
software asks what country you're in, USA allows WiFi channels 1 to
11, and Europe 1 to 13, Japan allows only channel 14. Seems that some
(most?!) wifi channels are in the ham band, so, with a little more
power, we could do high speed packet as hams with wifi cards. Make
your node name your callsign.

This even vaguely make sense?

Hank Oredson December 12th 05 03:35 AM

WiFi packet on the 2390-2450Mhz band?

"wa2ise" wrote in message
oups.com...
802.11b and 802.11g WiFi networking equipment operates at a range of
frequencies from 2.412 GHz to 2.462 GHz. There's a ham band at 2390 to
2450, and it looks like there's some overlap here. Usually wifi
software asks what country you're in, USA allows WiFi channels 1 to
11, and Europe 1 to 13, Japan allows only channel 14. Seems that some
(most?!) wifi channels are in the ham band, so, with a little more
power, we could do high speed packet as hams with wifi cards. Make
your node name your callsign.

This even vaguely make sense?

Doing it here ... is simple.

--

... Hank

http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli

wa2ise December 12th 05 04:07 AM

WiFi packet on the 2390-2450Mhz band?

Which channels put me in the ham band? Any software to download? TIA

Hank Oredson December 12th 05 06:00 AM

WiFi packet on the 2390-2450Mhz band?

"wa2ise" wrote in message
ups.com...
Which channels put me in the ham band? Any software to download? TIA

Channel 6, other options as well.
No software ... it's just WiFi ... hook it up, it works.
Want more range, add bigger antenna.
I use my own software to link the tcp/ip stuff into
the traditional packet / BBS network.
Couple dozen of us locally using that software.
Think of the WiFi links just like you would think
of an ethernet cable ... hooks anything to anything.

Bob Nielsen December 12th 05 06:01 PM

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 20:07:20 -0800, wa2ise wrote:

Which channels put me in the ham band? Any software to download? TIA

Channels 1 through 6 fall completely within the U.S. ham band. Since they
overlap, channels 1 and 6 are the only two which will not interfere with
each other.

Bob N7XY

F8BOE December 12th 05 08:12 PM

WiFi packet on the 2390-2450Mhz band?

ch 1-6
Paxon or WPP3.16
Flex32
buildling TCP connection

Brian Kantor December 12th 05 10:58 PM

WiFi packet on the 2390-2450Mhz band?

No software ... it's just WiFi ... hook it up, it works.

Did the FCC finally allow hams to use the WiFi spreading sequences?

F8BOE December 13th 05 07:25 AM

WiFi packet on the 2390-2450Mhz band?

Hello,

Possibly not.
In France we had to subscribe to be allowed in a limited time frame to use
Wifi equipment for Ham appz.

The only problem is that the top of the 13cm band is for Sat downlink...

73 de F8BOE Olivier ...-.-

wa3vpz December 24th 05 07:08 PM

WiFi packet on the 2390-2450Mhz band?

(Brian Kantor) wrote in news:dnkvah$f4h$1
@news1.ucsd.edu:

No software ... it's just WiFi ... hook it up, it works.

Did the FCC finally allow hams to use the WiFi spreading sequences?

I don't mean to be flippant here, but should hams care at this point
whether the FCC's taken time away from current urgent matters (e.g., potty-
mouthed DJs) to rule on any ham SS? I know I'm at the point where I'm ready
to start experimenting with SS on a NTI basis, sequences and polynomials be
damned.

Marshall

an_old_friend December 26th 05 11:02 AM

wa3vpz wrote:
(Brian Kantor) wrote in news:dnkvah$f4h$1
@news1.ucsd.edu:

No software ... it's just WiFi ... hook it up, it works.

Did the FCC finally allow hams to use the WiFi spreading sequences?

I don't mean to be flippant here, but should hams care at this point
whether the FCC's taken time away from current urgent matters (e.g., potty-
mouthed DJs) to rule on any ham SS? I know I'm at the point where I'm ready
to start experimenting with SS on a NTI basis, sequences and polynomials be
damned.

urgent atters?

Marshall