RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   Problems with ARRL Incoming buro? (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/109907-problems-arrl-incoming-buro.html)

Dave WB4IUY November 19th 06 04:25 PM

Problems with ARRL Incoming buro?

I've been wrestling with the incoming W4 two-letter prefix buro for
over two years. Have sent out hundreds and hundreds of cards, have sent
multiple batches of stamped envelopes and extra postage (just in case),
but have received only 7 cards in the last 2 years. I've done the
legwork to find out where the problems are, and loads of DX stations
tell me they've sent a card via buro. Maybe some of them are pulling my
leg, but I doubt that a few hundred are.

I've been an ARRL member since the mid-70's, and the buro worked well
until sometime around '03. At this point, I can't even get a reply to
emails to check on the problem. I posted this question on my local club
reflector (120-ish members), and got several replies from people with
the same exact experience, some who simply gave up and only QSL direct
now, as a result. I find it hard to believe the problem is localized,
but perhaps it is...hence this question.

Over the last year I've written to several other ARRL officials' email
addresses from the ARRL website, in hopes of getting someone to look
into the problem, but I've never received a reply from ANYONE else at
the league. Please reply if you are also having problems. You may email
me direct at , if you don't want to post in a public
forum. I'd like to get to the bottom of this problem, or just quit
giving the ARRL money (after 30+ years!), if the league has no interest
in taking corrective action on behalf of it's membership.

Dave Hockaday
WB4IUY

Doug Smith W9WI November 19th 06 08:48 PM

Problems with ARRL Incoming buro?

W9 bureau is working fine - I've received two stuffed envelopes in the
last few weeks.

Didn't the W4 2-letter-prefix bureau just recently change hands? (or am
I imagining things?) Are you sure you're writing the right WB4 bureau?

Can't say I've ever had a problem getting answers from Newington, though
the DXCC desk and the Contest Branch are the only parts of HQ I've
really dealt with. My director has also been quite responsive though I
usually write him via USPS.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

November 21st 06 12:17 PM

Dave WB4IUY wrote:
I've been wrestling with the incoming W4 two-letter prefix buro for
over two years. Have sent out hundreds and hundreds of cards,

I've been inactive the last 3 years, but started playing
on HF again recently. When I did, I emailed the Sterling
Park ARC, the people who do the xx4 incoming cards. I
sent an email to , Dick Maylott, W2YE,
asking if there was anything new I needed to know before
I sent some new envelopes. I got a very helpful reply
very quickly. If you haven't tried talking to Dick direct,
maybe that would be a good first step.

FWIW, I wasn't paying much attention but I have received
a few envelopes over the last few years when I was inactive.

I hope your problem isn't typical; I'm going to be depending
on the bureaus more now than previously. I just sent a couple
of direct requests and in addition to the increased costs
for the DX station's postage, I see an airmail stamp is
now $0.84 here. Lucky for me I work so few new countries--
I can't AFFORD much direct QSLing! :-)

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see?
www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

Dave WB4IUY November 27th 06 02:11 AM

Problems with ARRL Incoming buro?

I hope your problem isn't typical; I'm going to be depending
on the bureaus more now than previously. I just sent a couple
of direct requests and in addition to the increased costs
for the DX station's postage, I see an airmail stamp is
now $0.84 here. Lucky for me I work so few new countries--
I can't AFFORD much direct QSLing! :-)

Hey Ken, I recognized your call right away :-). I've been emailing Dick
and messing with this for the last 2+ years. I sent batches of SASE's
to them 3 different times over the last 2 years, and they seem to be
loosing them. After sending out over 1100 cards in the last two years
and receiving only 7 back, I started emailing hams I'd worked. I gots
lots of replies from people who said they'd replied via the buro. I was
recently sending emails to Dick and my particular handler shown on
their website, but was getting no response. I was getting pretty
frustrated and I emailed a PILE of folks at the ARRL, and got 1
response. Like magic, an envelope with 21 cards was postmarked to me
the very next day. Magic.

I realize the buro isn't a paid position, but it is supposedly a
'benefit' of being an ARRL member. It's really the only reason I join
the ARRL anymore, so I'd like to have it work.

Hopefully, it'll work for you...

Dave WB4IUY

Bob Dixon November 29th 06 06:12 PM

Problems with ARRL Incoming buro?

Please don't generalize this to the entire ARRL incoming bureau.
There may be a few isolated folks in the bureau who don't keep up with
things as they should, but I can assure you that in the 8th area bureau,
things run smoothly And Especially I can assure you that the 8E
callsigns (which I handle) are handled very quickly and carefully.

Bob W8ERD

Dave WB4IUY November 30th 06 02:18 AM

Bob Dixon wrote:
Please don't generalize this to the entire ARRL incoming bureau.
Bob W8ERD

HI Bob,

I know there's lots of folks in the buro, but I guess the "proof is in
the pudding". Maybe it's time for the ARRL to hold the buro
accountable, and do a little field survey. I've been dealing with
crappy service, unansered emails, and a less than a 1% return rate
since '03. I've taken the time to email a few HUNDRED hams I've worked,
most of whom responded said they replied via the buro (yet the cards
never made it to me). When I asked a similar question on our local
reflector of only 140 uses, several people spoke up with similar
problems. I posted the message on this forum and got 41 negative
replies in less than 48 hours. Seems strange that little old me can
cause all this trouble all by myself. Darn, this muct be all my fault,
what the heck am I thinking...

I've sent three batches of envelopes and additional postage to my
incoming buro over the last 2 years (just to make sure that wasn't the
problem), yet when I _do_ get a reply from the buro it's as if they've
lost my envelopes as well as my incoming cards.

I didn't just fall off the tater truck, yesterday. I've been an ARRL
member since 1974, and have used the buro for decades. Everything went
well until recent years. When I posted my question locally, the same
expecience as mine was described by folks with different handlers, so
it's not isolated to that. These responses were from old-timers and
greenies alike, so there's no commonality there. I sent emails to MANY
MANY MANY ARRL addresses (right off of the ARRL website), and only got
one reply..and it said "I'll be back in touch with you" ... NOT! That
was it, another dead end. What's with that? Maybe no one at the league
wants to deal with a problem...dunno, just my experience. Must be my
email account, spam filter, etc...can't possibly a real problem.

I'm tired of trying to save the world with Ham radio. I've taught
classes, started and ran the local VE team, built and maintained loads
of repeaters, held positions with ham radio clubs, run club contest
stations, managed many field day operations, held code practice
sessions on the air, etc. I've done my time. Yet, when I tire of having
to fight for 3+ plus years to get some little piece of the ARRL
"benefit" package, some want to point out that my dues help to get some
oddball sliver of spectrum, fight off BPL, etc. I only want to get my
cards handled as promised in exchange for my dues. That's all...

Maybe there's no problem at all... I'd love for someone to point out
how this is my problem or fault. Personaly, I'm pretty sure this can't
be done.

Hey, a slightly bright side of this... after sitting up half the night
and emailing every email address I could find (AGAIN), a small envelope
of cards was magically dropped into the USPS and postmarked to me. The
very next day. Why should an ARRL member have to make so much noise to
get something working? It simply should be. If I ran my own business in
this way, I'd have been out of business many years ago.

Dave WB4IUY

Dave WB4IUY November 30th 06 02:23 AM

Problems with ARRL Incoming buro?

wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 13:12:17 -0500, Bob Dixon wrote:
I knwo the heaad 9 the 9 buro doesn't answer email within severl
months

Hello Mark... Despite what those who wear rose colored glasses
think/say, the problem is surely widespread. I've got a mailbox full of
messages from folks like youself to prove there is certainly something
gone wrong with the buro. Thanks for the reply, maybe someone who gives
a flip about the ARRL buro will step up and get the system back on
track, before those of us who promarily send them our $$ for this
purpose quit and keep our money in the bank. Otherwise, the ARRL's
printed statement about the Buro being a benefit of membership is
simply hot air.

Dave WB4IUY

Derek Wills November 30th 06 03:33 AM

Problems with ARRL Incoming buro?

Well, all the people who have done the 5B sorting over the last
20 yrs have done a fine job of keeping me supplied with cards,
and the W5 buro sent many tens of lbs of cards when I was manager
for two active contest stations, so I have no complaints.

People get tired of the job - I would, and I'm sure you would if
you tried it!

Derek
aa5bt

STEVE - KF2TI November 30th 06 04:39 AM

Problems with ARRL Incoming buro?

In article ,
says...
Well, all the people who have done the 5B sorting over the last
20 yrs have done a fine job of keeping me supplied with cards,
and the W5 buro sent many tens of lbs of cards when I was manager
for two active contest stations, so I have no complaints.

People get tired of the job - I would, and I'm sure you would if
you tried it!

Derek
aa5bt

I read about the buro being a benefit of the league, but if I am not
mistaken, the incoming buro(s) do not require ARRL membership for their
services, on the out-going does.

And to those who work 100's per month and get little back...hang in
there. I mail out cards from the mid-90's that just arrived via really
REALLY slow boat

Steve KF2TI
W2 Inconing "B" Letter Buro Manager
since 1996

Win November 30th 06 04:44 AM

Problems with ARRL Incoming buro?

Anyone know why Dick's reply was removed?

Win, W0LZ