RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   Why VU7 Calls North America only (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/110747-why-vu7-calls-north-america-only.html)

David Thompson December 2nd 06 01:00 AM

Why VU7 Calls North America only

Because they know that the opening is very short compared to Europe even on
good propagation
days. Same for say the South Pacific when they call
for Europe only.

Dave K4JRB

December 4th 06 01:21 PM

David Thompson wrote:
Because they know that the opening is very short compared to Europe

Who has worked them so far, and when/what band?

I tossed a 40-meter dipole up this weekend--hadn't had the
ability to get on 40 and thought 40 might be my best shot
at working them. I saw them spotted on the cluster now and
again, over the weekend, but I never heard any of the VU7 ops
clearly, much less had a shot at working them. :-(

Glad they'll be there for a while.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

mike luther December 4th 06 04:09 PM

Why VU7 Calls North America only

Hi ..

wrote:
David Thompson wrote:
Because they know that the opening is very short compared to Europe

Who has worked them so far, and when/what band?

I tossed a 40-meter dipole up this weekend--hadn't had the
ability to get on 40 and thought 40 might be my best shot
at working them. I saw them spotted on the cluster now and
again, over the weekend, but I never heard any of the VU7 ops
clearly, much less had a shot at working them. :-(

Glad they'll be there for a while.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see?
www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

Careful listening with a 4 El phased vertical array in Central Texas across
both my sunset and their sunrise last night on 7005.2 on 04-Dec-2006 did let me
hear them absolutely way down into the noise level. With an A/K level of 2 and
0 and a Miniprop figure of 27 or so that is far too low a signal even under
that wonderful skip conditions for even a fair chance of me working them under
'normal' pileup conditions. Sadly.

The really high signal reports of the 80 CW efforts across some of this same
timeline would sure suggest that what was there couldn't really be a good one,
unless the station that was there was using the StepIR vertical for it and they
had a really decent radial array under it or were using it elevated somewhat
with four full length tuned radials under it for 80 meters.

It would be interesting to know what the group was using for their antenna on
40CW at the time and if the 80CW was a for real session and what the antenna
was for that band.

In that they were willing to work 40CW -- low band -- across the really
critical timeline(s) for possible QSO's with the mid-USA, it appears that the
group has both a sincere wish to accomplish this very difficult path for a very
prized QSO for the central USA CW low band crew. And it also appears that
whomever is making the decisions to support this effort there really does know
the propagation mechanics!

The only thing I might add is that actual grayline efforts at a say ten or
twenty minutes either side of their sunrise and sunset with specific careful
listening for the Central USA by the crew there might well turn out to be the
best real chance for the folks here who would very badly like to have this one
in the logs.

So far, it is looking good for low band CW chances on this one! Here's hoping
that the efforts all work out for as many as possible for this unique low band
CW effort.

Mike - W5WQN

--

-- Sleep well; OS2's still awake! ;)