Old August 10th 18, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx

Default [KB6NU] Taking the CW test

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Taking the CW test

I know you all are probably tired of reading about CW here, but hey, I am
the CW Geek, after all. Today, I have a couple of stories about taking the
CW test.

Last night, I worked Klaus, DM3XI. On his QRZ.Com page, he has this story:

The first time I heard radio amateurs was on grandmothers’ old tube radio
in AM on 40 and 20 meters. The opportunity to get in contact across the
world with other people regardless of nationality, race, religion or
political views inspired me.

One day, during a demonstration by radio amateurs in our school, someone
asked me whether I want be interested in taking the examination for an
amateur licence. The only problem: this examination took place only one
week later and I had to learn telegraphy at 60 letters per minute. During
the cw-test I was terrified of an unknown Morse sign which appeared about
10 times. Every times it came, I wrote a horizontal stroke. Wondering about
the result since there were only two permitted errors, I checked the sign.
It was the separation sign and, without knowing it, I had written the
correct symbol…. So I was licensed at the young age of 14.

One of my Elmerees also found a unique way to pass the CW test. This was
back when you needed to pass a 5 wpm test to get your Extra Class license.

5 wpm is very slow. Slow enough to write down the dots and dashes. What my
friend did was to do exactly that. As the code was sent, he copied down the
dots and dashes, and when the code stopped, he went back and decoded it.

This flummoxed the volunteer examiners, and they decided that they would
have to consult with the ARRL before issuing the certificate that he had
passed the test. The ARRL gave its approval, and my friend was granted his
Extra Class license. Unfortunately, shortly after this, he got really busy
with family and job, so he never became a very active ham.

Now, its your turn. Tell me a story about how you or a friend passed the
code test.

The post Taking the CW test appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.