RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   [MKARS] Getting ready for our varied and exciting programme in 2019 (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/267436-%5Bmkars%5D-getting-ready-our-varied-exciting-programme-2019-a.html)

MKARS via rec.radio.info Admin December 30th 18 01:10 PM

[MKARS] Getting ready for our varied and exciting programme in 2019

MKARS - Milton Keynes Amateur Radio Society

Getting ready for our varied and exciting programme in 2019

https://www.mkars.org.uk/news/articl...amm e_in_2019

The Club has relocated to more suitable premises, and from January 2019
most of our meetings will be upstairs at the Irish Centre (Manor Fields,
Watling Street, Bletchley, MK2 2HX).

Our club meetings from January 2019 will be on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of
each month and all meeting will now start at 19.30. All our meeting details
are loaded on to the diary page (see left menu column). Please note that we
have one club meeting at the NRC at Bletchley in February.Â*

Please note that our monthly shack night for the foreseeable future will be
held on the 3rdMonday of each month at our Bletchley Park shack, GB2BP, in
T.S Invincible, Bld 55.Â*

At Shack nights weÂ*would like our newer members to come along & operate our
station, using the call sign GB2BP. Partake in some logging, discuss
operating technique, and generally get the feel for operating, ask
questions about CW, HF, Digital Modes & any other radio related subjects.
It would also be nice to see the new Intermediate licence holders to make
an appearance, you will be able to operate (under supervision) GB2BP with
100 Watts!Â*

Our programme for the first three months of 2019 is as follows:

Monday 14thJanuary –Â*"The Long Silence Falls" - 100 Years of Maritime
Wireless- John Moyle, G1AWJÂ*(Irish Centre)

Monday 21st January – Shack Night at Bletchley Park Shack.

Monday 28th January: Building a MI6 type WWIIÂ*WirelessÂ*Station, GB1SOE,
Peter Davies M0PJD and John Tether, G4JGGÂ*(Irish Centre).

Monday 11thÂ*February: Introduction to FT8 - the How’s and the Do’s - Martyn
Baker G0GMB; to be held at BletchleyÂ*ParkÂ*in the demonstration room at the
NRC.

Monday 18th February : Shack Night at GB2BP

Monday 25th February:Â*Staying Well Grounded - Shack Safety; Andy Roberts ,
M0GYKÂ*(Irish Centre)Â* Â* Â* Â*

Monday 11thMarch – Update on Club Contesting – Tim Cowell G6GEI and Phil
Gould G4FVZÂ*(Irish Centre)

Monday 18thMarch – Shack Night at Bletchley Park shack – getting into HF
for new operators

Monday 25thMarch – New Operators – Any Questions with MKARS Panel(Irish
Centre)

Centenary of Alan Turing's birth

https://www.mkars.org.uk/news/articl...turing_s_birth

MKARS will celebrate 100 Years since Alan Turing's birth with a series of
special events using the specially issued Notice Of Variation (NOV)
callsign GB2AMT (Alan Mathison Turing).

On 16th and 17th June, we at MKARS will be receiving multiple Enigma
transmissions using CW (Morse code) from GCHQ's tent at the Cheltenham
Science Festival.
A special NOV has been issued by Ofcom for this occasion, allowing the
encrypted transmission to take place. GCHQ will be transmitting using the
call sign GB5AMT and we will be receiving this particular transmission
using the GB2BP call sign.
What's unique with this NOV is that GB5AMT can only transmit directly to
GB2BP and cannot receive any transmissions. However, we will confirm
receipt of transmission to GB5CSF, which is the call sign of the Cheltenham
Science Festival.

As far we are aware, this is the first time Ofcom has granted permission
for an encrypted transmission on the amateur radio bands.

We will be using at least 2-3 receiving stations, in order to more closely
imitate reception conditions as they were during the war.
The messages received by each station will then be compared/collated at a
central point and then fed into the Bombe machine in Block B at Bletchley
Park.
This part of the event will be transmitted by video link to Cheltenham, and
theÂ*decoded message will then be sent back to Cheltenham using Twitter.

On 23 and 24 June, we will be operating using the GB2AMT call sign.

We will also be operating on 30th June and 1st July,Â* however this time
using our standard GB2BP call sign.

On both occasions we hope to operate the station from the green outside the
Mansion at Bletchley Park, however this is weather dependant and might
change!

Foundation - Class of April 2012 - 100% Success

https://www.mkars.org.uk/news/articl...-_100__success

Congratulations to the twelve new Foundation licensees, on passing their
Foundation exam tonight (6th June 2012). Â*Welcome to the wonderful world of
amateur radio. Â*We look forward to hearing you on the air in the near
future. Â*Andrew G8GNI & Frank M0JSZ

RSGB Club of the Year Presentation

https://www.mkars.org.uk/news/articl...r_presentation

In a boost to moral for all those that have worked hard to make MKARS a
better club, I'm pleased to announce that yesterday evening Alison Johnston
(G8ROG) [our regional representative from the RSGB] presented MKARS with
the region 9 RSGB Club of the Year certificate. For those that could not
attend this will proudly go on display next to our second place national
Club of the Year certificate in GB2BP which was presented at the AGM.

This was followed by an informative presentation from Don Beattie
(G3BJ)Â*about the RSGB and its plans for the future, which concluded with a
lively questions and answers session enjoyed by all.

All with the added bonus of taking place in the lovely Bletchley Park
Mansion Music Room accompanied with refreshments and cake!

MKARS DXCC competition

https://www.mkars.org.uk/news/articl...cc_competition

MKARS will be running a DXCC competition for members from midnight UTC on
1/5/2012 until midnight UTC on 31/7/2012.

There will be 3 catagories :
Full licence holders.
Intermediate licence holders, or those who wish to use up to 50 watts.
Foundation licence holders, or those who wish to use up to 10 watts.

There will be an award for the overall winner, and hopefully also one for
each catagory.

For more details, or to ask a question, visit our forum.