Old June 11th 19, 04:26 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default [VK5PAS] Myponga Conservation Park 5CP-157 and VKFF-0921

vk5pas

Myponga Conservation Park 5CP-157 and VKFF-0921

https://vk5pas.org/2019/06/10/mypong...d-vkff-0921-3/

My final park for the 2019 VK Shires Contest was the Myponga Conservation
Park 5CP-157 & VKFF-0921 which is located in the Yankalilla Council area
(YD5).

The park is located about 67 km south of Adelaide and about 8 km south of
the town of Myponga.
Above:- Map showing the location of the Myponga Conservation Park south of
Adelaide.Â* Map courtesy of Location SA Map Viewer.

After leaving Mount Billy I travelled along Hindmarsh Tiers Road and then
along Springmount Road and then on to James Track.Â* I soon reached the
park.Â* Since my last visit, there is now a gate which is unlocked.

The Myponga Conservation Park is 167 hectares in size and was proclaimed on
the 17th February 1997. Â*It is a hilly park and has several rocky outcrops
and waterfalls. Â*Several habitats exist in the park includingÂ*Open Forest
Over Wet Heaths in the gulliesÂ*–Â*messmate stringybark and cup
gumÂ*overÂ*prickly tea-treeÂ*and heath tea-tree. Â*Also found is Low Very Open
Woodland –Â*cup gumÂ*and pink gumÂ*over cranberry heath and common
fringe-myrtle.
Above:- Aerial view of the Myponga Conservation Park looking north back
towards Adelaide.Â* Image courtesy of Google maps.

More than 68 species of native bird have been recorded in the park
including Crescent Honeyeater, New Holland Honeyeater, Australian Golden
Whistler, Scarlet Robin, Grey Shrike-thrush, Red Wattlebird, Magpie-lark,
Jacky Winter, and Hooded Robin.

Myponga which is at the centre of rich grazing and dairy country. Â*The name
Myponga is derived from the Aboriginal word ‘maippunga‘ meaning locality of
high cliffs. Â*Myponga is a sleepy little town with a population of about
550 people. Â*Many years ago, large gum trees were felled here and prepared
for use in the Broken Hill mines. Â*A cheese factory was also established
and its produce was noted for its high quality, much of which was
exported. Â*This is now part of the Farmers Market. Â*Another worthwhile
place to visit is the Smiling Samoyd Brewery. Â*In the early 1950s uranium
was discovered and mining prospects investigated, however, no mines were
developed.

The nearby Myponga Reservoir is fed by the Myponga River and other rivers
in the Myponga catchment area. Â*The Reservoir provides about 5% of the
water supply for Adelaide. Â*Construction of the reservoir commenced in 1958
and was completed in 1962. Â*The total capacity of the reservoir is 26 800
ML.

I set up in my normal operating spot along the Heysen Trail which runs off
James Track.Â* This is beyond the gate and is a shared track for cars and
walkers, so take care.
Above:- An aerial view of the Myponga Conservation Park showing my
operating spot.Â* Image courtesy of Location SA Map Viewer.

The showers had started to set in.Â* I started off outside of the car, but
when the showers become a little heavy I retreated to the 4WD.Â* I had left
it a little late to get to Myponga, with the time now being 0510 UTC (2.40
p.m. local time).Â* I had just 50 minutes before the finish of the contest.

I first tuned across the band and logged Roy VK3GB.Â* I then moved down the
band and started calling CQ.Â* My first taker was Tony VK3XV, followed by
Cliff VK2NP, and then Mike VK3MKE.

I logged a total of 43 stations on 40m.Â* This included three Park to Park
contacts: Alan VK2MG/4 in the North Pine Dam Nature Refuge VKFF-2876; Peter
VK3TKK/p in the Yarck Nature Conservation ReserveÂ*VKFF-2241; and Greg
VK4VXX/2 in the Goobang National ParkÂ*VKFF-0204.

Unfortunately, I did not have enough time to try 20m or 80m.Â* It was the
end of the contest.Â* I had activated 6 different parks in 6 different
shires.Â* I had logged a total of 310 contacts.Â* THANKS to everyone who
called.

I worked the following stations on 40m SSB:-

VK3GB
VK3XV
VK2NP
VK3MKE
VK7JGD
VK4FARR
VK5FANA
VK2IO/5
VK3SQ
VK2VW
VK3ER
VK4FDJL
VK2MG/4 (North Pine Dam Nature Refuge VKFF-2876)
VK4NH
VK3PF
VK3TIN
VK3TKK/p (Yarck Nature Conservation ReserveÂ*VKFF-2241)
VK4TJ
VK3EV
ZL1TM
VK2LX
VK7KT
VK3FRAB
VK5FMAZ
VK3LTL
VK7ALH
VK2GR
VK3ATV
VK2PAW
ZL2AYZ
VK7GH
VK4PHD
VK7LH
VK3MAB
VK2HMV
VK4VXX/2 (Goobang National ParkÂ*VKFF-0204)
VK4DCM
VK2MT
VK2WTF
VK4VSM