Old April 7th 21, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur,free.uk.amateur-radio

Default [M0IAX] The Inflatable HF Antenna from RadioGeeks

M0IAX

The Inflatable HF Antenna from RadioGeeks

https://m0iax.com/2021/04/07/the-inf...om-radiogeeks/

As you may know (if youve been following my posts on instgram and twitter)
Im a big fan of quick to deploy simple antennas. But I wont use any old
gimmick or rubbish. It has to work.

So a could of years ago I was interested in the RadioGeeks inflatable
antenna for 2M which I bought and had some success with even from my boat
at sea level. They recently updated the VHF version to include 70cm, I
bought that recently as well and that will feature in a later post when I
get time to walk up a hill to test it properly.

But this isnt about the VHF/UHF version (its also not a review. I dont do
reviews) No, this is even more interesting because the latest Inflatable
Antenna from www.RadioGeeks.co.uk covers HF bands, specifically 40, 30, 20
and 17m.

You do need a tuner for it, and its recommended that you elevate it
slightly only use the provided feeder coax (ie dont extend it).

Order process

Ordering is quite simple, from the website Antennas | radiogeeks.co.uk
find the Click to Order button, fill in the form and tell them what you
want. Tom will reply with details of how to pay. It took a couple of days
to get my order for the two antennas I bought from stock. The HF antenna
was a pre-order so I had to wait a little longer.

Setup and tear down

Inflatable HF antenna next to original 2M VHF packed in carrying bag. These
antennas are similar in size.

To deploy inflate the antenna by blowing into the red valve, it only takes
a few breaths. If possible lift it up suspended from the top, or attach to
a suitable pole. Connect the coax to your radio tune to the desired
frequency and tune. Thats it, you are ready to go within minutes, no need
for radials. Similarly tear down takes a minute or two, deflate by pushing
the valve in, squeeze the air out and fold into the bag and you are ready
to move to a new POTA/SOTA or just go and have a cup of tea.

Use

Radio Geeks Inflatable HF Antenna and IC-705/AH-705

Now this is a obviously a compromise antenna being just over 5ft long when
inflated. But it works quite well with digital modes one all the bands its
designed for, it seems to work best on 20M with my tests over the weekend,
I did not use SSB it was mostly JS8Call and FT8.

When I received mine last Thursday I was working but as soon as I finished
I headed out into the garden to test it and was up and running with JS8Call
in a minute or two, followed by some FT8 on the bands that did not have
anyone operating JS8Call, you can see from the spots below using my Icom
IC-705 and 5W and I used my Icom AH-705 to tune it.

JS8Call and FT8 5W from IC705

The following day I ventured out further afield only to find that it was
really cold and windy at the top of the hill, I didnt have a very good
support or guy lines for the pole and the antenna kept blowing over but as
you see from the next map I still got a few spots early in the morning. The
picture really doesnt illustrate how flippin cold the wind was

Inflatable HF Antenna weighing just 15oz

Inflatable HF Antenna weighing just 409g

Weighing in at just under 15oz/409g its light enough to carry around even
if just as a secondary antenna.

Conclusion

I like it, it packs up small, goes up (and down) in minutes and is very
portable. Stick one in the bottom of your go-bag, chuck it in the trunk of
the car even fit it in a coat pocket and you will have a usable HF antenna
wherever you are even if you only have a few minutes spare to get on the
radio.

Look out for more of this antenna, and the VHF/UHF version from me in
future.

https://m0iax.com/findme

73

Mark, M0IAX

Old April 8th 21, 09:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On 07/04/2021 18:30, M0IAX via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin wrote:

[...]

Ordering is quite simple, from the websiteÂ* Antennas | radiogeeks.co.uk
[...]

FT8 doesn't count ....
Old April 8th 21, 12:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 09:14:20 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

FT8 doesn't count ....

It counts in increments of 15 seconds.

--

Brian
Old April 8th 21, 12:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On 08/04/2021 12:41, Brian Morrison wrote:
On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 09:14:20 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

FT8 doesn't count ....

It counts in increments of 15 seconds.

on FT8 nobody can tell you are a dog....
Old April 8th 21, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.dx,rec.radio.amateur.equipment,uk.radio.amateur

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 12:59:51 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

On 08/04/2021 12:41, Brian Morrison wrote:
On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 09:14:20 +0100, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

FT8 doesn't count ....

It counts in increments of 15 seconds.

on FT8 nobody can tell you are a dog....

On JS8 you can hear the claws clicking on the keyboard.

--

Brian