RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   WRONG PHONETICS (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/8930-re-wrong-phonetics.html)

Caveat Lector September 21st 03 04:22 PM

WRONG PHONETICS

Ah phonetics

The ARRL and many other national entities recommend the NATO phonetics
for Amateur Radio use as most Hams around the world recognize them.

This alphabet dates from about 1955 and is approved by the
International Civil Aviation Organization, the FAA and the
International Telecommunication Union,
and many National Amateur Leagues/Societies/Orgs.
Note that different bodies prefer different spellings, so one also sees:
Alfa Juliett Juliette Oskar Viktor]

Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtrot Golf Hotel India
Juliet Kilo Lima Mike November Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo
Sierra Tango Uniform Victor Whiskey Xray Yankee Zulu

See URL: http://www.bckelk.uklinux.net/phon.full.html

However the DX crowd over many years have used their own set --
which includes kilowatt. May be "wrong phonetics", but a fact of life for a
long time.
Unofficial but common DX phonetics are at URL:
http://ac6v.com/dxphonetics.htm

Next we have funny phonetics which are memorable and easy to recall -
like K6AKT - Karl Six Always Killing Time
Wrong phonetics but very very common on VHF repeaters and HF Contests

Next we have the old timers who insist on the WWII phonetics:
Able Baker Charlie Dog Easy Fox George How Item Jig King
Love Mike Nan Oboe Peter Queen Roger Sugar Tare Uncle Victor
William X-ray Yoke Zebra
And these guys are always tuning after a CQ Call !!

Then we have the civil entity phonetics. Some hams but many don't use or
understand these:
Adam Boy Charlie David Edward Frank George Henry Ida John
King Lincoln Mary Nora Ocean Peter Queen Robert Sam Tom
Union Victor William X-ray Young Zebra
And a lot of other Boy/Girl names depending on locale

Then we have Hams who don't know any of these and you might hear -- Name is
Tim - Texaco Indigo Macy's
Actually heard this one!

Bottom line -- use the NATO phonetics -- so most all will understand and
always during an emergency.

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All
"JDer8745" wrote in message
Howdy,

Recently I hear more and more hams using "kilowatt" as the phonetic for

the
letter K. The correct phonetic is "kilo".

73 de Jack, K9CUN. That's...

kickapoo niner certain underwear neurosis