Old September 27th 03, 01:49 AM
Spurious Noise

Hmmm -- England, Italy, Yokohama didn't work???

--
73 From the Spurious Noise ';';;';x":.,";"'

"John Passaneau" wrote in message
t...
That was the reason I went to a vanity call sign. My old call WB8EIY was
murder to get across.
John Passaneau W3JXP
State College, Pa

Old September 29th 03, 03:23 PM
Spurious Noise

I have been in and listened to thousands of pileups over the years and the
DXer phonetics are very commonly used.
Is that right or wrong -- I don't know - but sure is a fact of DX life.

And they seem to work as well as the NATO phonetics. Many many top gun DXers
use them.
Just listen to the pileups (:-(

This is NOT to necessarily recommend or deny the practice -- just stating
what many DXers use.
Whether to use them or not is a separate issue. (Start a thread if you
want!)

FYI: I know several DXpeditioners who will not answer anyone using anything
BUT NATO phonetics or to recognize those using "Lass Two" -- last two
letters of the suffix.

But You will hear some DX stations ask for "Lass Two". This also is common
practice.
(Sometime in 10 minutes one should give their full call - huh?)

FYI: Unofficial DXer Phonetics, compiled after listening to more pileups
than I care to remember (:-)

a.. A......AMERICA, Amsterdam
b.. B......BOSTON, Baltimore, Brazil
c.. C......CANADA, Columbia, Chile
d.. D......DENMARK
e.. E......ENGLAND, Egypt
f.. F......FRANCE, Finland
g.. G.....GERMANY, Guatemala, Geneva, Greece
h.. H.....HONOLULU, Hawaii
i.. I.......ITALY
j.. J......JAPAN
k.. K......KILOWATT, Kentucky, King
l.. L......LONDON, Lima, Luxembourg
m.. M......MEXICO, Montreal
n.. N......NORWAY, Nicaragua
o.. O......ONTARIO, Ocean,
p.. P......PORTUGAL, Pacific
q.. Q......QUEBEC, Queen
r.. R......RADIO, Romania, Russia
s.. S......SANTIAGO, Spain, Sweden
t.. T......TOKYO, Texas
u.. U......UNITED, URUGUAY
v.. V...... VICTORIA, Venezuela
w.. W......WASHINGTON
x.. X......X-RAY
y.. Y......YOKOHAMA
z.. Z...... ZANZIBAR, Zulu

--
73 From the Spurious Noise ';';;';x":.,";"'

"John Passaneau" wrote in message
Boy would that work well in a big pileup, Juliet x-ray papa is bad enough.

--
John Passaneau W3JXP
State College Pa