RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   VU4 (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/93064-vu4.html)

Doug Smith W9WI April 18th 06 06:42 PM

VU4

Well, it's off to the racesgrin...

VU4AN/VU3DYC (I've probably screwed that up, it's written down in the
other room) pretty loud on 20cw this morning. Too much of a madhouse to
work though. Will keep trying. Good luck to all!
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

J. Mc Laughlin April 18th 06 06:56 PM

VU4

Unlike the operation in December 2004, some of the new batch are able to be
heard in the upper Midwest.

So far, as least four or five of the stations act as if they understand
the propagation facts of the difficult path from VU4 to NA - if not the
additional problems for paths in the shadow of the magnetic pole.

Plus and minus of 1600Z and a short window near 2400Z (both on 14 MHz)
are about 80% of the possibilities from Michigan.

73, Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

Fabian Kurz April 18th 06 07:15 PM

VU4

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
VU4AN/VU3DYC (I've probably screwed that up, it's written down in the
other room)

At least you got it right in your log. I bet a high percentage of
"DXers" who just copied the call from DX-cluster (amazing number
of busted calls there!) will get their QSL back, "not in log".

pretty loud on 20cw this morning. Too much of a madhouse to
work though.

Worked the DL7DF-group on 17m CW today (all time new one) during
a short break at university (hooray for campus clubstation!),
quite easy from Europe.

Unless they start begging somewhere, I shall be happy with my QSO
and let others, who really need them for a new one have a go now.

Will keep trying. Good luck to all!

Good luck to everyone in need ;-)

73,
--
Fabian Kurz, DJ1YFK * Dresden, Germany * http://fkurz.net/
Online Log: http://dl0tud.tu-dresden.de/~dj1yfk/log.html

Wes Stewart April 18th 06 10:24 PM

VU4

On 18 Apr 2006 18:15:44 GMT, Fabian Kurz wrote:

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:
VU4AN/VU3DYC (I've probably screwed that up, it's written down in the
other room)

At least you got it right in your log. I bet a high percentage of
"DXers" who just copied the call from DX-cluster (amazing number
of busted calls there!) will get their QSL back, "not in log".

pretty loud on 20cw this morning. Too much of a madhouse to
work though.

Worked the DL7DF-group on 17m CW today (all time new one) during
a short break at university (hooray for campus clubstation!),
quite easy from Europe.

You're going to count this as your own?

Fabian Kurz April 18th 06 10:44 PM

VU4

Wes Stewart wrote:
Worked the DL7DF-group on 17m CW today (all time new one) during
a short break at university (hooray for campus clubstation!),
quite easy from Europe.

You're going to count this as your own?

Yep. It was made using my own callsigns, which is perfectly legal
here. I know there have been some debates about the validity or
'ethicality' of this kind of contacts, but I personally feel it's
absolutely OK. It also conforms to DXCC rules, which say:

,----[ Section I. Basic Rules ]----------------------------------
| Contacts may be made from other stations provided they are
| personally made by the licensee.
`----------------------------------------------------------------

YMMV.. 73,

Barry April 19th 06 02:28 AM

VU4

I worked them on 20 RTTY at 2050Z. It was surprisingly easy, probably
because they were so weak, just barely moving the S-meter, and not
many NA hearing or calling them at the time.

That's one of my last 4 on RTTY! (BS7, VU7, and 7O are the others).
Barry W2UP
--
Note - Remove the X from my e-mail address for direct replies

Doug Smith W9WI April 19th 06 05:36 AM

VU4

Fabian Kurz wrote:
You're going to count this as your own?

Yep. It was made using my own callsigns, which is perfectly legal
here. I know there have been some debates about the validity or
'ethicality' of this kind of contacts, but I personally feel it's
absolutely OK. It also conforms to DXCC rules, which say:

This was frequently done at the University of Wisconsin back in the
1970s as well. Most of these operators didn't have their own stations -
or those stations consisted solely of 2m gear - so if you didn't work
the DX from the club station, you weren't going to work it at all.

We did consider it bad form to work a DXpedition with your own call if
the club still needed it on that band/mode. (i.e., you worked it with
the club call first)

Doug Smith W9WI April 19th 06 05:37 AM

VU4

Fabian Kurz wrote:
VU4AN/VU3DYC (I've probably screwed that up, it's written down in the
other room)

At least you got it right in your log. I bet a high percentage of
"DXers" who just copied the call from DX-cluster (amazing number
of busted calls there!) will get their QSL back, "not in log".

That's pretty amazing. I was just about certain I remembered it
wronggrin!

Either way, I'm afraid it's *not* in my log -- I called for about an
hour but they faded out before I could work them. Will definitely be
paying more attention for the rest of the week though.

Doug Smith W9WI April 19th 06 05:02 PM

VU4

wrote:
I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get 3Y0X from my apartment
QTH: I have a magnet wire doublet and a tuner... but I got them on 30m
& 20m CW and 40 SSB... the last of which was pure dumb luck; no one was
calling... It was exciting in a way that heading up to the W3EAX U of
MD shack wouldn't have been.

At many universities, there is no way to erect an antenna in student
housing. At Wisconsin it was contrary to housing authority rules -- and
on the upper floors it was physically impossible even if you didn't
worry about the rules. Steel frame construction made indoor antennas
useless on the HF bands. (believe me, I tried. Made an entire *one*
QSO on HF from my room - with the club station across the street...)

i.e., often it's not a matter of not wanting to use an inferior personal
station - it's a matter of not *having* a personal station at all.

[email protected] April 19th 06 06:10 PM

VU4

Yep, I've never been in the "physically impossible" category,
fortunately. All my college dorm rooms had a tree in good proximity to
do the invisible random wire thing.

Plus when I was in college, 10m was hot, so my 30' long wire 15 feet
off the ground actually did something...

My apartment now is nice in that I have a balcony which gives me more
options as far as where I can mount temporary antennas and better shots
at the trees with a slingshot so I've got 100 feet of wire in the
air...

As far as the rules... I just try to be courteous to the neighbors by
keeping the power down and try to be relatively stealthy, but I'll tell
you, I'm sure the maintainance guys have seen my temporary mast and VHF
antennas occasionally in the mornings, and no one has ever said
anything. Of course, 45 minutes later when I go to work, there's no
trace of them...

If you're stuck inside steel frame dorm building... you're right, not
much to be done there...

Club station it is in that case...

73 Doug

Dan,