RadioBanter

-   Dx (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/)
-   -   DX Pager or TXT message alerts? (https://www.radiobanter.com/dx/9900-dx-pager-txt-message-alerts.html)

Peter Dougherty October 8th 04 06:37 PM

DX Pager or TXT message alerts?

Hi guys,

Does anybody know if there's a software package out there which
supports sending DX alerts as pages or TXT messages? I'm not thinking
about a piece of logging software with an alert module built in, but
rather a stand-alone app of some nature. Any ideas?

73 de Peter, W2IRT
(ex-AB2NZ, VE3THX)

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

Peter Lemken October 8th 04 11:28 PM

Peter Dougherty wrote:
Hi guys,

Does anybody know if there's a software package out there which
supports sending DX alerts as pages or TXT messages? I'm not thinking
about a piece of logging software with an alert module built in, but
rather a stand-alone app of some nature. Any ideas?

telnet + cat + grep

Peter Lemken
Berlin

--
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly

Peter Dougherty October 9th 04 06:13 AM

(Peter Lemken) said :

Peter Dougherty wrote:
Hi guys,

Does anybody know if there's a software package out there which
supports sending DX alerts as pages or TXT messages? I'm not thinking
about a piece of logging software with an alert module built in, but
rather a stand-alone app of some nature. Any ideas?

telnet + cat + grep

And the answer for those who don't speak *NIX would be...g? In any
event, that essentially just culls the spots. It's the passing of
needed spots to a TXT or SMTP gateway that's the real trick. If I knew
how to code this, and was even remotely interested in
Linux/Unix/BSD/etc, I probably would have done so already.

Peter Dougherty October 9th 04 03:52 PM

Walt Davidson said :

On 9 Oct 2004 00:13:03 -0500, Peter Dougherty
wrote:

Please reply to Double-you Two Eye Are Tee at Arrl.net

Shouldn't that be "Dubya Two"?

Not on a bet, not on a dare. Ewwwww.

AB2RC October 11th 04 02:34 PM

On 2004-10-09, Peter Dougherty wrote:

telnet + cat + grep

And the answer for those who don't speak *NIX would be...g? In any

Either use a *NIX box or install cygwin

event, that essentially just culls the spots. It's the passing of
needed spots to a TXT or SMTP gateway that's the real trick. If I knew

here is the entire command in one line to be placed into a crontab

wget -O - http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/hfdx25.html? | grep $WANTED_DX |
mailto -s DX $EMAIL_ADDRESS

substitute $WANTED_DX and $EMAIL_ADDRESS as required.

--

Alex / AB2RC
There are two rules for success in life:

AB2RC October 11th 04 04:17 PM

On 2004-10-11, AB2RC wrote:

wget -O - http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/hfdx25.html? | grep $WANTED_DX |
mailto -s DX $EMAIL_ADDRESS

substitute $WANTED_DX and $EMAIL_ADDRESS as required.

Thinking about a bit more, it would probably be better to use lynx instead
of wget, as the output would be a bit cleaner

lynx -dump http://oh2aq.kolumbus.com/dxs/hfdx25.html? | grep $WANTED_DX |
mailto -s DX $EMAIL_ADDRESS

as usual with *NIX, there is more than one way to skin a cat.