RadioBanter

-   -   Anyone make a "single box" APRS solution? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/10245-anyone-make-%22single-box%22-aprs-solution.html)

John July 7th 03 03:11 AM

Anyone make a "single box" APRS solution?

Hi,

Does anyone make a box that is a transmitter, modem (TNC), and GPS
receiver? I'd like to be able to drop a single box in a car or boat
that I want to track. I would attach an antenna and a power-supply and
that would be it.

Does it exist?

If not, are there any websites with suggestions on how to set up a
simple APRS transmitter? I would think a bunch of people have spent
some time on this already.

Thanks!
John

Tinker July 7th 03 05:42 AM

On 6 Jul 2003 19:11:43 -0700, (John) wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone make a box that is a transmitter, modem (TNC), and GPS
receiver? I'd like to be able to drop a single box in a car or boat
that I want to track. I would attach an antenna and a power-supply and
that would be it.

Does it exist?

If not, are there any websites with suggestions on how to set up a
simple APRS transmitter? I would think a bunch of people have spent
some time on this already.

The Kenwood TMD-700A comes closest. You still need a GPS receiver, but
the connection is simple and straightforward and the GPS receiver needed
is not too expensive and quite small.

laborkei July 14th 03 12:05 PM

The Alinco DR-135T is close to what you are looking for without spending a
lot of $.
You can purchase a "Computer Mouse Size" GPS (Garmin GPS-35) with the 9pin
serial/cig cable
and make a short adapter and plug cleanly into the Alinco's data port.
I was looking for similar to your post a few months back, and this was the
best I could come up with.
I have the configuration information on my website, so look me up on QRZ.com

Good Luck..
Keith, K4KAL

om...