RadioBanter

-   -   Elecraft K2/100 or Kenwood TS-570D(G)? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/10251-elecraft-k2-100-kenwood-ts-570d-g.html)

Paul Clay July 7th 03 05:16 PM

Elecraft K2/100 or Kenwood TS-570D(G)?

I am trying to decide whether to purchase a new Elecraft K2/100 (to be
built by me) or a new Kenwood TS-570D(G). I enjoy kit building, but not
so much I want to compromise on basic operating enjoyment (which for me,
however, doesn't include a need for a lot of "bells and whistles). I
plan on using either rig as a base station operating mostly SSB. At
this point, the plusses for Elecraft seem to me to be the enjoyment of
the building process and the quality of the unit's receiver while the
plusses for the Kenwood seem to be inclusion of a .5-30Mhz general
coverage receiver (I like to SWL occasionally) and the availability of
FM and AM operating modes.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments or suggestions (another rig
to consider at the $1000 price point?).