RadioBanter

-   -   RF in shack and ground question (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/10803-rf-shack-ground-question.html)

gil August 7th 03 12:41 AM

RF in shack and ground question

Just recently started to use an MFJ artificial ground and comparing it to a
ground rod thru the basement's sump where is always wet.
My antenna is an end fed about 50 feet and I use no more than 30 watts (CW)
While switching between grounds I noticed my field strength meter droped to
almost nothing while using the artificial ground with a wire on the floor,
when switched back to the ground rod the field stregth meter went way up,
all using the same wattage.
So the questions....when the meter reads low does that mean less RF in the
shack and more juice to the antenna?
And a high reading the opposite?
Would love to hear comments/advice.

Thanks...gil

Dan/W4NTI August 7th 03 01:21 AM

Based on ur description I would say your 'field strength' meter is working
well. You can take that meter and move it to various places in/out of the
shack and get various indications. It is measuring the FIELD just fine.

What it means is anyones guess.

Dan/W4NTI

Chris August 7th 03 10:03 PM

Hi Gil
The best way to answer your question is to go outside and have the field
strength read from the antenna while someone inside switches the grounds
inside.
73 Chris VE3NGW/W4 Florida