RadioBanter

-   -   How to set/hack Sony car stereos from Japanese tuning to US tuning? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/118506-how-set-hack-sony-car-stereos-japanese-tuning-us-tuning.html)

[email protected] April 25th 07 07:10 AM

How to set/hack Sony car stereos from Japanese tuning to US tuning?

I need to set the tuning on my Sony car stereo from Japanese to US
tuning; service manual?

Hi there...

I was wondering if someone has any idea if ANY of the Sony "WX" series
of double-din car stereos (japanese or usa models) can be "hacked" so
that their tuners can be changed from japanese fm tuning to us/uk or
world band tuning and vice-versa???

I recently purchased a Sony WX-C88REC double-din cd/md recorder from
eBay. This is a japanese market deck and is factory set for japanese
fm tuning. However, the design and physical layout of this deck is
very similar to other US models (such as the WX-4500X and the WX-
C5000, as well as the WX-C55 which looks nearly identical). I'm
nearly convinced that there MUST be some way to hack the japanese
models so that their tuners can be "switched" to us or world tuning.
I find it difficult to believe that Sony would design two distinct
different tuner hardware modules for japanese and american versions.
Problem is, I have no clue HOW to "hack" this feature. I don't have a
service manual for ANY "WX" series stereos, but I'm thinking that it
may possibly be an option in a service manual for ANY of the "WX"
decks. Again, I find it difficult to believe that this isn't "set-
able" some sort of way.

Does anyone out there have an idea? Does anyone out there have ANY
service manual for ANY "WX" series Sony stereo? Or, for that matter,
does anyone have a service manual for ANY Sony car stereo that
addresses in ANY way setting the tuner for different bands?

I realize there are adapters available to transpose the FM
frequencies. I've used them before, always with poor results
(stations usually overlap and are weak). I mainly record off the
radio with my MDX-C800REC's in my other cars, but always thought it
would be cool to be able to dub cd's quickly in-dash digitally without
having to mess with a cd changer. But, radio recording is my primary
concern...and the adapters don't provide the quality I want for
recording.

PLEASE help ANYBODY if you can steer me in the right direction or help
in ANY way. If anyone has ANY Sony service manuals for ANY stereo,
please let me know...perhaps if setting the tuner IS an option, maybe
it is a standard procedure to set ANY Sony stereo's tuning in a
similar fashion.

Thank you VERY much!
Jeff

radiodude April 25th 07 05:03 PM

How to set/hack Sony car stereos from Japanese tuning to US tuning?

hi,

just email sony, tell them you have your
japan car here in the usa and you would like
the info to use the radio here in the states.

radiodude