RadioBanter

-   -   Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ? -and- Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/123262-actual-ge-superadios-so-called-ge-superadios.html)

RHF August 10th 07 01:51 AM

Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ? -and- Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?

For One and All,

Brian Hill August 10th 07 02:46 AM

Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ? -and- Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?

The GE P780 is the original or predesesor to the GE Superadios:

http://www.radiointel.com/nrge.htm

BH

Al Lorona August 10th 07 09:47 PM

Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ? -and- Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?

NOTE - The Radio Shack Optimus Models #s 12-603
and/ 12-903 may be 'look-a-likes' on the outside
-but- They do not have the GE Superadios Circuity
on the inside [.]
.

In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very similar
performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its audio
sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same (250
hours). Provision for external antenna. Controls don't wobble around and the
platic case is more substantial than the GE which feels 'cheap' in
comparison.

Al W6LX

george conklin August 11th 07 12:18 AM

Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ? -and- Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?

"Al Lorona" wrote in message
. net...

NOTE - The Radio Shack Optimus Models #s 12-603
and/ 12-903 may be 'look-a-likes' on the outside
-but- They do not have the GE Superadios Circuity
on the inside [.]
.

In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very
similar performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its
audio sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same
(250 hours). Provision for external antenna. Controls don't wobble around
and the platic case is more substantial than the GE which feels 'cheap' in
comparison.

Al W6LX

I have both the Radio Shack and the GE. The GE is vastly better in terms
of sensitivity and sound quality. I listen to a remote AM station during
the day and the GE is vastly better.

pltrgyst August 11th 07 03:36 AM

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:18:28 -0400, "george conklin" wrote:

In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very
similar performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its
audio sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same
(250 hours). Provision for external antenna. Controls don't wobble around
and the platic case is more substantial than the GE which feels 'cheap' in
comparison.

I have both the Radio Shack and the GE. The GE is vastly better in terms
of sensitivity and sound quality. I listen to a remote AM station during
the day and the GE is vastly better.

How does the Radio Shack DX-390 compare to these two for AM and FM performance?

Tnx -- Larry

Steven August 11th 07 04:12 AM

Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ? -and- Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?

I notice that the OP is GONE. I know I didn't start it by replying to
another posr.

Lee Richardson August 11th 07 09:58 AM

Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ? -and- Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?

In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very
similar performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its
audio sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same
(250 hours).

Superadio is rated at 400 - 500 hours. Not the same at all.

Lee Richardson
Evansville, Indiana

RHF August 11th 07 07:07 PM

On Aug 11, 1:58 am, "Lee Richardson" wrote:
In my opinion the Radio Shack 12-903 is similar in design, with very
similar performance, but in a package that is far more solidly built. Its
audio sounds at least as good and is powerful. Battery life is the same
(250 hours).

Superadio is rated at 400 - 500 hours. Not the same at all.

Lee Richardson
Evansville, Indiana

Point-of-Fact the Circuits may be simular
BUT they are NOT the same [.]

Some have 'claimed' the the RadioShack Radios are
GE Suoeradio IIIs packaged in a RadioShack Shell :
This is NOT the Case [.]

For the time period that their were make the RadioShack
Radios were most likely made by Sangean and are a
Sangean design to 'approximate' a GE Superadio III at
a much lower cost.

As not so 'super' as the GE Superadio III is : It "IS"
better then the Radioshack 'want-to-bees' ~ RHF

Joe Analssandrini August 12th 07 12:35 AM

Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ? -and- Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?

On Aug 9, 8:51 pm, RHF wrote:
For One and All,
.
Which Are The "Actual" GE Superadios ?
- - - - -and- - - - -
Which Are The 'So-Called' GE Superadios ?
.
OK - Here are the actual GE Superadio Model Numbers :
.
# 1 - GE {Superadio I} Model # 7-2880
"The Original" GE SUPERADIO I = "Super Radio"
-but- It did not have The Words "Superadio" on the Radio [.]
General Electric Model # 7-2880
Speaker: Single/One 5".
Single Band Width.
Knobs: Black Body with Chrome Base Ring.
Size: 13"W - 9"H - 3.25"D
Badging 'General (GE) Electric' on the speaker grill.
Printed on the Tuning Band Scale: "Long Range" & "High Selectivity"
Made in HONG KONG and other locations
.
# 2 - GE Superadio I I Model # 7-2885
The GE SR II = GE SUPERADIO II = "Super Radio"
General Electric Model # 7-2885
Speakers: Dual 5" and 1".
Single Band Width.
Knobs: Chrome (color) Body including the bases.
Size 13"W - 9"H - 3.25"D.
Badging: General (GE) Electric "SUPERADIO II" on the speaker grill.
Printed on the Tuning Band Scale: "Long Range" & "High Selectivity"
Made in MALAYSIA and other locations from 1987 until 1994.
.
# 3 - GE Superadio I I I Model # 7-2887
The GE SR III = GE SUPERADIO III = "Super Radio"
General Electric Model # 7-2887
Speakers: Dual 6" & 1.5".
Dual Band Widths: Wide & Normal.
Knobs: Black Body with Chrome Base Ring.
Size: 13.5"W - 9"H - 3.75"D.
Badging: "GE" Square on the speaker grill.
Printed on the Tuning Band Scale: "Long Range" & "High Selectivity"
Made In CHINA ?
.
Here are some 'so-called' GE "Superadio" Model Numbers
they are either Digital / Cassette / Boom Boxes /Radios :
Series - 3-6015 / 3-6025 / 3-6045
Series - 3-5266 / 3-5268 / 3-5280
.
Model # 3-5280 is the so-called GE {Superadio} Cassette
.
Model # 7-2882 is the so-called GE Digital {Superadio} Plus
.
Then there is the 'so-called' GE "Superadio" CUB
Model Number 7-2881 that was 'smaller' than the
GE Superadios and used "C" Batteries
.
NOTE - The Radio Shack Optimus Models #s 12-603
and/ 12-903 may be 'look-a-likes' on the outside
-but- They do not have the GE Superadios Circuity
on the inside [.]
.
READ THESE "REC.RADIO.SHORTWAVE" MESSAGES
.
GE Superadios for Dummies [Was: OT: Superadio ID]http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/0d2291622654ceff
.
GE Superadios for Dummies [ GE Super Radios I - II - III ]http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/b040155dce5df31c
.
A Compilation of GE Superadio Postshttp://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.shortwave/msg/2518c853aaf62053
.
.
the ge model 7-2885 is in-fact a super radio
-and- imho the best of the best ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Dear "RHF,"

There were two variants of the original GE Superadio Model 7-2880: the
first one without a strap to hold the batteries in place (they fall
out if the battery cover is even loose) and no antenna screw
terminals, and the second one with both of those improvements.
Otherwise, the two variants are identical and carry the same model
number.

Best,

Joe