RadioBanter

-   -   FT857 vs. IC706MKIIG (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/12785-ft857-vs-ic706mkiig.html)

George November 19th 03 07:47 PM

FT857 vs. IC706MKIIG

Hi OMs,
Can anyone compare these two radios? I look for some little, mainly HF
radio, in my new very limited space of life :-(
Up till now I've used FT990 + home brew 400 watts PA. I prefer DX-ing
(CW & SSB)and I hope to work the last 2 countries (3Y0/B and VU4) using
some of these little rigs.
Thanks for the serious advice,
George, SP2BRZ.

Steve Nosko November 19th 03 10:29 PM

I recently got a IIG and have spent time using all the features to get
familiar. I am ok with it. Some of the menu operations and arrangements
are not to my liking, but I think that is to be expected. Everyone thinks
differently. Can not comment on the 857.
The only thing I found "wrong" is that the IF shift is backwards on all
bands. Icom US says they'll forward info to Japan.
Though not wrong, I prefer tuning CW in the "upper" mode - that takes
putting it into CW-R and cranking the IF shift full CCW (down).
Finally, switching between upper & lower sideband, the filter centering is
not perfect. This is probably common for all rigs and dependent upon factory
adjustment. This is not noticable by ear, I did some accurate measurements
for the IF shift issue and did the sideband check for the heck of it. (I
did the 3dB points of the filters I have for both upper & lower. - SSB-W &
CW 500Hz.)

Try some questions about specifics you are interested in. e-mail would be
better as I read this NG infrequently. My call at arrl dot net.
Steve, k,9,d,c,i,

Paul Vanasse November 20th 03 01:05 PM

"George" wrote in message
Hi OMs,
Can anyone compare these two radios? I look for some little, mainly HF
radio, in my new very limited space of life :-(
Up till now I've used FT990 + home brew 400 watts PA. I prefer DX-ing
(CW & SSB)and I hope to work the last 2 countries (3Y0/B and VU4) using
some of these little rigs.
Thanks for the serious advice,
George, SP2BRZ.

Hello George:

Go with the FT-857. The receive audio blows the Icom 706 MkIIG away. Ive
owned both radios and have done side by side comparisons. There is a huge
difference from a "radio" perspective.

The menu system on the Icom is somewhat more logically designed than the
Yaesu however Im more concerned with the TX/RX capabilities of a radio as
compared to the stupid toys that hardly anyone uses.

PS: I use an FT-990 w a Clear Speech DSP and a small amp at the home QTH and
I wouldn't trade the combination for anything (at least for now).

73

George November 20th 03 09:46 PM

User Paul Vanasse wrote:

Go with the FT-857...

Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply.
And let me know what do you think about FT897?
Regards,
George.