RadioBanter

-   -   Best first HT (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/127882-best-first-ht.html)

marc December 3rd 07 10:41 PM

Best first HT

At the risk of setting off a war, I'd like the groups opinion of the
"best" first HT. I want a 2m/70 cm unit, super compact is nice but
not a priority. I think I want a full keypad, and I'm not sure on
power.

Specific models? Brands? Power? Other must- or should-have features?

Please, replies to the group.

The Shadow[_2_] December 3rd 07 11:27 PM

Best first HT

"marc" wrote in message
At the risk of setting off a war, I'd like the groups opinion of the
"best" first HT. I want a 2m/70 cm unit, super compact is nice but
not a priority. I think I want a full keypad, and I'm not sure on
power.

Specific models? Brands? Power? Other must- or should-have features?

Please, replies to the group.

Wouldn't even take a guess as to the best.
But I have the Kenwood TH-F6A

Very compact tri-band 144/220/440MHz

0.01~ 1300 MHz RX (widest transceiver in the industry)

See Kenwood site
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communicat...rtables/TH-F6A

And see what users think of their HT's at URL:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/products/49

Lamont

Jim Haynes December 7th 07 02:05 AM

Best first HT

The Yaesu FT-60R is very popular around here.

Travis Jordan December 9th 07 05:14 PM

Best first HT

"marc" wrote in message
At the risk of setting off a war, I'd like the groups opinion of the
"best" first HT. I want a 2m/70 cm unit, super compact is nice but
not a priority. I think I want a full keypad, and I'm not sure on
power.

Specific models? Brands? Power? Other must- or should-have features?

Kenwood TH-G71A with the optional 6-cell alkaline battery pack. Long
battery life, high power, use AA-rechargeable or alkaline, your choice.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/162
https://01836cd.netsolstores.com/ind...ROD&ProdID=473