RadioBanter

-   -   ts-440 tuning question (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/13363-ts-440-tuning-question.html)

Barry Saxon December 17th 03 11:05 PM

ts-440 tuning question

I'm test driving a Kenwood TS-440. The rate of tuning with the knob is 50kHz
per revolution on AM, 10kHz on SSB, regardless of speed. Reading the manual,
it is implied that slewing
faster increases the step speed. Can anyone confirm this normally happens?
Thanks.

md December 18th 03 01:11 PM

"Barry Saxon" wrote in message
I'm test driving a Kenwood TS-440. The rate of tuning with the knob is

50kHz
per revolution on AM, 10kHz on SSB, regardless of speed. Reading the

manual,
it is implied that slewing
faster increases the step speed. Can anyone confirm this normally happens?
Thanks.

I'd be more concerned about the potting compound problem. You may want to
inquire as to whether or not it has been removed and the VCO's retuned. It
will be a major headached down the road if it hasn't.

Good luck

Mogens9181 December 18th 03 09:32 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the potting compound problem have shown
up by now?

Mogens9181 December 18th 03 09:32 PM

Barry Saxon December 19th 03 12:01 AM

Yes, a year or so ago the owner noticed sensitivity and offset issues. That
has been corrected.
But back to the original question, does a stock TS-440 exhibit variable rate
tuning?

Thomas C. Sefranek December 19th 03 11:48 AM

Not that I've noticed on mine over the last 10 years or so....

--
*
| __O Thomas C. Sefranek
|_-\,_ Amateur Radio Operator: WA1RHP
(*)/ (*) Bicycle mobile on 145.41, 448.625 MHz

http://hamradio.cmcorp.com/inventory/Inventory.html
http://www.harvardrepeater.org