RadioBanter

-   -   1Hz radio reciever? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/14209-1hz-radio-reciever.html)

Curious January 30th 04 03:05 AM

1Hz radio reciever?

What would I hear on a 1Hz AM reciever?

Ed G January 30th 04 03:50 AM

What would I hear on a 1Hz AM reciever?

Nothing. Even were such a thing possible, and you converted the 1Hz RF
carrier to audio, the human ear can't hear that low anyway.

Ed

Tim Wescott January 30th 04 04:20 AM

If you follow the rule of thumb that the signal bandwidth should be less
than the carrier -- nothing. Your signal would be less than 1Hz, and you
can't hear sounds that low.

If you modulate your 1Hz "carrier" with something audable you'd hear your
original signal fading in and out at a 2Hz rate.

I imagine that a geo- or astro-physicist might be interested in
electromagnetic effects below 1Hz, though.

"Curious" wrote in message
om...
What would I hear on a 1Hz AM reciever?

Tim Wescott January 30th 04 04:20 AM

If you follow the rule of thumb that the signal bandwidth should be less
than the carrier -- nothing. Your signal would be less than 1Hz, and you
can't hear sounds that low.

If you modulate your 1Hz "carrier" with something audable you'd hear your
original signal fading in and out at a 2Hz rate.

I imagine that a geo- or astro-physicist might be interested in
electromagnetic effects below 1Hz, though.

"Curious" wrote in message
om...
What would I hear on a 1Hz AM reciever?

Cambio January 30th 04 04:26 PM

Some interesting reading about Radio Waves below 22 kHz at URL:
http://www.vlf.it/

--
73- Cambio - Keyboard To You
-------------------
"Allodoxaphobia" wrote in message
On 29 Jan 2004 19:05:21 -0800, Curious hath writ:

What would I hear on a 1Hz AM reciever?

The sound of one hand clapping.

Jonesy

Cambio January 30th 04 04:26 PM

Reg Edwards January 30th 04 04:38 PM

What would I hear on a 1Hz AM reciever?
=========================
Nothing. Far too low below human audibility. Even elephants can't get down
that low.

Steve Nosko January 30th 04 07:56 PM

OK. I'm going to reveal my secret idea, so PLEASE don't tell anyone.

Take one old farm silo. Fit it with an old sweat 16 speaker system, or
something big-- at it's bottom. You'll need a big amp as well. Open the
top. This bugger should resonate somewhere around... Lets
see...silo...about 30 feet tall...well about half the frequency of 16' pipe
organ pipes. In the sub bass range. Oh yea, make sure the silo is tall
enough to get below the audible range.
Find another the same size or several around the country.

There you have it. Sub audible CW. How far do you think it'll travel. I
suspect you may need some elephant repellant.

No, it IS to keep elephants away. But, you say. There aren't any elephants
anywhere on this continent.

SEE! it works!

73
--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

"Curious" wrote in message
om...
What would I hear on a 1Hz AM reciever?