RadioBanter

-   -   Is there an equivalent to Elecraft KX1 for phone? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/145893-there-equivalent-elecraft-kx1-phone.html)

KJ4NTS[_2_] August 9th 09 01:52 PM

Is there an equivalent to Elecraft KX1 for phone?

I saw an Elecraft model KX1 at a friend's house yesterday and fell for it. It is cute as a bug.
However, I only work phone.

Does Elecraft or any other company make any equivalent (high quality, backpack size) transceiver for
phone rather than CW? Either kit form or prebuilt will be fine.

dave August 9th 09 03:00 PM

KJ4NTS wrote:
I saw an Elecraft model KX1 at a friend's house yesterday and fell for it. It is cute as a bug.
However, I only work phone.

Does Elecraft or any other company make any equivalent (high quality, backpack size) transceiver for
phone rather than CW? Either kit form or prebuilt will be fine.

Yaesu FT-817ND

https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/vie...idproduct=1152

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0

KJ4NTS[_2_] August 9th 09 05:34 PM

On 9-Aug-2009, dave wrote:

FT-817ND

https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/vie...idproduct=1152

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0

Thanks. That's a nice looking rig! Does it have any sort of built-in antenna tuner like the
Elecraft? For outdoor hiking/emergency use, it would be nice if it could drive a random length
antenna.

mikea August 9th 09 09:16 PM

In rec.radio.amateur.equipment KJ4NTS wrote:

On 9-Aug-2009, dave wrote:

FT-817ND

https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/vie...idproduct=1152

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0

Thanks. That's a nice looking rig! Does it have any sort of built-in
antenna tuner like the Elecraft? For outdoor hiking/emergency use, it
would be nice if it could drive a random length antenna.

No, but a friend has and _loves_ his FT-817ND. A tuner could be made
very small; Dan's used to sell a QRP tuner kit that would work nicely.

--
"I regret to say that we of the F.B.I. are powerless to act in cases of
oral-genital intimacy, unless it has in some way obstructed interstate

KJ4NTS[_2_] August 9th 09 09:56 PM

On 9-Aug-2009, mikea wrote:

Thanks. That's a nice looking rig! Does it have any sort of built-in
antenna tuner like the Elecraft? For outdoor hiking/emergency use, it
would be nice if it could drive a random length antenna.

No, but a friend has and _loves_ his FT-817ND. A tuner could be made
very small; Dan's used to sell a QRP tuner kit that would work nicely.

I just found an LDG tuner designed specifically for the FT-817: it is the LDG Z-817. It's about
the same size as the FT-817 and runs off 4 AA batteries.

dave August 10th 09 02:07 PM

On 9-Aug-2009, dave wrote:

FT-817ND
https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/vie...idproduct=1152

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd...5&isArchived=0

Thanks. That's a nice looking rig! Does it have any sort of built-in
antenna tuner like the Elecraft? For outdoor hiking/emergency use, it
would be nice if it could drive a random length antenna.

No, but a friend has and _loves_ his FT-817ND. A tuner could be made
very small; Dan's used to sell a QRP tuner kit that would work nicely.

These are fairly small and very light. You could build one for half
this price, and probably make it smaller.

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Produc...ctid=MFJ-16010