RadioBanter

-   -   Hearing Aids/ RF Emmissions (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/15769-hearing-aids-rf-emmissions.html)

Bill Brannick April 16th 04 10:47 PM

Hearing Aids/ RF Emmissions

As another confirming moment in my life, next week I will be fitted
for hearing aids.

I have already read articles that suggest that hearing aids and cell
phones do not get along very well together. The so-called telecoil
which is imbedded into the molding of the ear piece (one ear only)
acts as a receptor for picking up audio from a conventional
telephone...... but apparentely it can also pick up the RF from a
cell phone generally resulting in a buzzing sound. The FCC has
mandated that the manufacturers of cell phones must make available
hearing aid compatible cell phones, but they have a couple more years
to get that done. In the mean time, the apparent solution with respect
to cell phones is to use a headset.

So.. if that telecoil can pick up RF from a cell phone, what is the
potential for it picking up RF from my own HF transmissions
here...(probably not all bands, but... )????

I suspect there are some older hams out there with hearing aids, who
have the answers to these questions "right on top"

Bill, W6WLB