Old August 28th 04, 06:05 AM
Pierre Desjardins

Default Sealed Lead batteries

Hi folks

I plan to use two Yuasa NPO.8-12 12v 0.8Ah gelcells for portable radio
amateur rig..

I will use them in France where power is 50 Hz. I see that chargers
available here in Canada always specify 60 Hz.

So, do I have to expect some problems?

Thanks

Pierre
Old August 29th 04, 12:05 AM
Henry Kolesnik

Better find a charger that works on both because on 50 cps you need more
iron in conventional charger but a switcher will probably be OK since the
first thing it'll do is conver the ac to dc.

--
73
Hank WD5JFR

Old August 29th 04, 01:09 AM
Big Al

He didn't mention how fast he wanted to charge the batteries. Many older
camcorder chargers were 12 volt and have universal inputs. Would be easy to
modify and most thrift stores have them.

Al WB7NXB

. com...

Old September 2nd 04, 03:44 PM
allen

Find a broken computer pc and use the power supply from it
to recharge the batteries.

Old September 8th 04, 06:20 PM
Gary S.

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:44:01 GMT, allen wrote:

Find a broken computer pc and use the power supply from it
to recharge the batteries.

When doing this, you need to put a load on the 5V output, or the 12 V
will not work well.

Various articles on the web for converting a PC power supply to a 12V
voltage source. It may have more ripple than is tolerable for a direct
circuit, no problem as a battery charger.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

Old September 9th 04, 01:59 AM
Bob Monaghan

not the best way to get the maximum life and longterm charge out of many
SLAs, which is why many specialized chips and charging systems have been
built, and articles available in QST and online.

I picked up a surplus UPS last weekend, with SLA specialty charger, 300
watt sine wave inverter, and battery in the case (for $3 - guys were tired
of hefting them around ;-). Even if you had to pay $20 for a surplus unit
at a computer recycling shop somewhere, you would still be ahead on the
battery, SLA specialty charger, and 12 vdc to 110 AC sine wave inverter
You just have to look at a used UPS for what it really is, subsystem wise!

One nice feature is you can route out the charging connections to other
batteries, making it easy to use the setup in an emergency with other
(larger) batteries. Last month's local sale
(http://people.smu.edu/arc/sidewalk.html) turned up a 12v 33 amp (400
watt/hr) battery ($5 IIRC). We previously picked up some 12vdc SLA gel
cells with 7.8 AH capacity, which are handy for handitalkies, QRP rigs,
ATV video cameras, and the like (again, prices were in $3 to $5 range).

I'm now looking for some buys in used generators for our club (any hints?
;-) for field day. To my surprise, Sunday's paper had a 3.5 kw AC/DC OVH
generator at Pep Boys for under $300, but I'd like something in the 1.5 Kw
or less range for easier portability for field day and on-campus emergency
power demos.

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *