RadioBanter

-   -   TRADE: My ham stuff for your older laptop-Even-Steven? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/19234-trade-my-ham-stuff-your-older-laptop-even-steven.html)

Gary S. October 29th 04 01:45 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 07:44:25 -0400, "BFoelsch"
wrote:

How old is "older," without being "junk"?

"Amigaman" wrote in message
. com...
Greetings all!...I have some ham stuff to trade for older laptops,
"Even- Steven"?...please no junk....tnx & 73's....tony...WA9YOZ

If you cannot readily get software which will run on it, it gets a lot
less useful. Current software will not run on any computer before a
certain level. Many machines get tossed because of this.

If it does not have USB ports and the ability to run 98SE or later,
you lose the use of USB peripherals.

Drivers for newer deviceswill be an issue as well.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA

BFoelsch October 29th 04 02:08 PM

"Amigaman" wrote in message
. com...
Greetings all!...I have some ham stuff to trade for older laptops,
"Even- Steven"?...please no junk....tnx & 73's....tony...WA9YOZ

If you cannot readily get software which will run on it, it gets a lot
less useful. Current software will not run on any computer before a
certain level. Many machines get tossed because of this.

If it does not have USB ports and the ability to run 98SE or later,
you lose the use of USB peripherals.

Drivers for newer deviceswill be an issue as well.

Yes, I understand very well, which is why I was trying to get a feel for
what the OP is looking for. I have some Pentium 100s and 150s, which are in
a whole different league than 386s and 486s. To me they are all "junk," but
perhaps the OP wants to run DOS or Win95, in which case a P100 is perfectly
usable. OTOH, maybe he thinks a P3 is "older!"

Gary S. October 29th 04 03:05 PM

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 09:08:42 -0400, "BFoelsch"
wrote:

"Gary S." Idontwantspam@net wrote in message
.. .

If you cannot readily get software which will run on it, it gets a lot
less useful. Current software will not run on any computer before a
certain level. Many machines get tossed because of this.

If it does not have USB ports and the ability to run 98SE or later,
you lose the use of USB peripherals.

Drivers for newer deviceswill be an issue as well.

Yes, I understand very well, which is why I was trying to get a feel for
what the OP is looking for. I have some Pentium 100s and 150s, which are in
a whole different league than 386s and 486s. To me they are all "junk," but
perhaps the OP wants to run DOS or Win95, in which case a P100 is perfectly
usable. OTOH, maybe he thinks a P3 is "older!"

In a corporate environment, this is all very clear cut.

The IS department will say that they will not support any machine
below X, and anything older needs to be upgraded.

Too bad there is not a legitimate avenue for people or organizations
who stop using older software to transfer it to someone new. This
would really help a lot of non-profits, who get donated hardware, but
have no way to get compatible software.

For example, how much would it cost a software maker to stock the
latest Win 95 version of their software, perhaps with no expectation
of support?

People are forced to either pirate old software, or throw away
completely functional older machines.

The older machines with older software are just as useful as Day 1,
even if they do not have the "latest greatest" features. There is a
large market of non-profits, volunteer organizations, and families
with lesser income who would be thrilled with this.

Robert Casey October 31st 04 01:26 AM

Amigaman wrote:

Greetings all!...I have some ham stuff to trade for older laptops,
"Even- Steven"?...please no junk....tnx & 73's....tony...WA9YOZ

But even a machine a few years old is "junk".