RadioBanter

-   -   Best noise blanker (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/19712-best-noise-blanker.html)

gil November 20th 04 02:41 PM

Best noise blanker

I had a recent experience with impulse static in my area that became a
good test for a rig's noise blanker. Being a ham on a budget none of
my radios are worth over $400. and I found my Ten Tec's noise blanker
to be superior to my entry level Kenwood and Icoms.

The TT Triton 540 wiped out the noise without distorting the signals,
I found it amazing since all my other rigs would only wipe out some of
the noise while introducing distortion to the signal.

Would love to hear opinions on what rig you feel has the best noise
blanker out there.

Gil

Ed November 21st 04 02:36 AM

Would love to hear opinions on what rig you feel has the best noise
blanker out there.

My experience tells me you can not assign a good or bad grade to
various manufacturers. I have had various Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, and
TenTec radios over the past years. Some of these products had excellent
noise blankers, some had terrible noise blankers.

The very best I have seen were my old Yaesu FT301 and my new Icom
746Pro II, yet the worst I have seen were also in Yaesu radios... FT
757 for example. Also my old TenTec 555 noise blanker was nearly
useless.

Additionally, you may find various web sites that tell how to tune or
improve the noise blanker in various models. Apparently many models may
come off the production line with good noise blankers that just aren't
effective due to poor tuning and setup. I believe the Yaesu FT817 was
one of these.

Ed K7AAT