RadioBanter

-   -   Backlash? (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/223517-backlash.html)

Jim GM4DHJ ... January 25th 16 05:07 PM

Backlash?

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , The Scottish Idiot ...
writes

"gareth" wrote in message
Is backlash in tuning mechanisms necessarily a problem, because
a little bit of looseness in the drive means that an accidental nudge
of
the
tuning control won't cause a frequency change, as it would if
tightly-coupled and backlash free?

you trained for backlash on a Trio 9R59D ...

A good training ground, as it also suffered from considerable drift.

In the late 60s, an SWL lived a couple of doors from me, and he had a
9R59D. I spent quite some time rebuilding a lot of the VFO - better
capacitors, stouter wiring and, of course, I also fitted the 'optional'
neon stabiliser. It appeared to be a lot better. A few weeks later I
asked him how he was getting on with it - only to find that he had sold
it!

Ian

ha ha sucker.....I always ask that before I help people ...

bet the advert said something like "retuned by a licensed radio amateur"

Jim GM4DHJ ... January 25th 16 05:08 PM

Backlash?

"The Scottish Idiot ..." wrote in message

"gareth" wrote in message
Is backlash in tuning mechanisms necessarily a problem, because
a little bit of looseness in the drive means that an accidental nudge of
the
tuning control won't cause a frequency change, as it would if
tightly-coupled and backlash free?

you trained for backlash on a Trio 9R59D ...

you trained for non-ergonomic tuning dial direction on an FRG7 .......