Old March 18th 05, 07:47 PM
Dick

Default Icom IC-28H Backlight Replacement

My Icom IC-28H has gone dark. Looks like both lamps are gone. The
schematic lists these lamps as HRS-7219A-G40. I found a couple of
places that had minimum orders of $100 and $300 respectively. That's
out. I read a message on eham.net where a ham had replaced these
lamps with amber LED's and appropriate resistors. Anyone done this?
Other options?

Dick - W6CCD

Old March 18th 05, 08:20 PM
Dick

My problem is I had to disassemble the radio so far to get to the back
of the lamps, I can't run it to check the voltage. The lamps are
driven by an automatic dimmer circuit, so can't just trace the source.
Would like to see a data sheet on the lamps, but doesn't seem to be
available. I saw one reference to Intersil as the manufacturer, but
it's not listed on their website.

Dick

Old March 18th 05, 09:53 PM
Robert Kubichek

If you look at the schematic, you will see that there is 11.5v supplied
to the lamps for the display, ANY grain of wheat lamp rated for 12-15v
will work. Radio shack does sell them, most older Icoms IC229H ect use them.

Bob N9LVU

Old March 18th 05, 10:21 PM
Dick

I sure don't see that Bob. The lamps are driven off the collector of
Q12. This voltage varies in accordance with the light received by R3.
I don't see any reference to voltages at all anywhere in that
circuit..

Dick

Old March 18th 05, 11:36 PM
Robert Kubichek

In the sevice manual, the junction of R77-R78-Q12 is 11.5v and this goes
out to the lamps.

Bob N9LVU

Old April 1st 05, 01:44 AM
Dick

Thanks. I had found that lamp in the Mouser catalog. However, the
last time I applied power to the IC-28H, one of the lamps came back to
life. When I observe it from the backside of the circuit board, the
lamp has a definite green glow. I assume this is what gives the green
look to the display. I read a message from one person who used amber
LED's to give it an amber display. This leads me to conclude that the
color of the lamp light is what determines the color of the display.
I have not seen any 7219 lamps on the Internet that are green. Still
looking.

Dick

Old April 1st 05, 01:57 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Dick LeadWinger wrote:

Thanks. I had found that lamp in the Mouser catalog. However, the
last time I applied power to the IC-28H, one of the lamps came back to
life. When I observe it from the backside of the circuit board, the
lamp has a definite green glow. I assume this is what gives the green
look to the display. I read a message from one person who used amber
LED's to give it an amber display. This leads me to conclude that the
color of the lamp light is what determines the color of the display.
I have not seen any 7219 lamps on the Internet that are green. Still
looking.

How about using a standard bulb (as in the Mouser catalog) and giving
it a light coat of green nail polish? A light-green LED with series
dropping resistor might also give you the desired hue.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO