RadioBanter

-   -   Help asked for ICOM IC706-MKII LSB adjustment (https://www.radiobanter.com/equipment/78944-help-asked-icom-ic706-mkii-lsb-adjustment.html)

[email protected] September 28th 05 11:00 AM

Help asked for ICOM IC706-MKII LSB adjustment

Hi all,
During LSB QSO's I receive comments that my audio sounds too sharp (and
high). It may be that the LSB is not produced (filtered) correctly. Can
anyone tell me where to find the Xtal and/or potentiometer to make
adjustments. It seems I can't find a good service manual anywhere.
73 Ben (email to )

STEVE TROOK September 28th 05 04:33 PM

Here is exactly what u are looking for... you will need adobe acrobat
reader (free) to view the file.
http://dw.ham.dmz.ro:8080/downloads/...mz.ro.mk2g.pdf

Bill Janssen September 28th 05 07:11 PM

wrote:

Hi all,
During LSB QSO's I receive comments that my audio sounds too sharp (and
high). It may be that the LSB is not produced (filtered) correctly. Can
anyone tell me where to find the Xtal and/or potentiometer to make
adjustments. It seems I can't find a good service manual anywhere.
73 Ben (email to
)

Is there a way to correct the frequency from those menu items. I would like
to have a more accurate frequency on my VHF frequencies.

Or, is there an explanation for setting the frequency internally. so the
dial
would read correctly.

Thanks
Bill k7NOM

Dick September 29th 05 12:34 AM

wrote:

Hi all,
During LSB QSO's I receive comments that my audio sounds too sharp (and
high). It may be that the LSB is not produced (filtered) correctly. Can
anyone tell me where to find the Xtal and/or potentiometer to make
adjustments. It seems I can't find a good service manual anywhere.
73 Ben (email to
)

Is there a way to correct the frequency from those menu items. I would like
to have a more accurate frequency on my VHF frequencies.

Or, is there an explanation for setting the frequency internally. so the
dial
would read correctly.

Thanks
Bill k7NOM

Yes. Pages 4-1 and 4-2 of the Service Manual detail exactly how to
set the PLL reference frequency to 60.000000 MHz. You will need a DVM
or O'Scope, an RF voltmeter and a counter with a frequency accuracy of
+/- 1 part per million.

Dick - W6CCD

Fred McKenzie October 7th 05 05:51 PM

In article , wrote:

Is there a way to correct the frequency from those menu items. I would like
to have a more accurate frequency on my VHF frequencies.

Or, is there an explanation for setting the frequency internally. so the
dial
would read correctly.

Bill-

As Dick mentioned, you can align the master oscillator using a counter.

If you don't have a counter with the required accuracy, here are a couple
other approaches that will work in a pinch. However, you should keep in
mind that the oscillator's drift characteristics are not that great unless
you have the TCXO option.

If you were to tune in WWV while they are transmitting a tone, you can
change between AM, USB and LSB. When the oscillator is on frequency, the
tone will not change among those settings.

You can also set up pairs of channels with opposite sidebands for one KHz
above and below WWV. For example, one channel might be set for 19.999000
MHz USB and the other to 20.001000 MHz LSB. When you switch between
channels, the one KHz beat-note tones should be the same when the master
oscillator is on frequency.

Use the highest frequency WWV you can receive. If you can set your
frequency within one Hz at 5 MHz, the error would be two Hz at 10 MHz,
three Hz at 15 MHz, 4 Hz at 20 MHz, et cetera.

These methods may not work if you don't have enough of a "musical ear" to
tell when the audio tones are not the same!

73, Fred, K4DII