Old April 5th 06, 07:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Mark

Default Signal Strength Meter - Mobile Phones

I currently offer a service for Mobile Phone users in rural/remote
areas, where I fit a Yagi antenna for people with poor reception
problems. At the moment I use a Mobile Phone's signal strength reading
(along with a map and compass) to locate the strongest signal from the
nearest base station (the region where I work, there is only one
service provider). Because these readings are a bit slow to respond, I
would like to build/buy a simple signal strength meter to be a bit
more accurate, when setting up these antenna's. I either need
something with a meter or even simpler (and maybe better) headphones
listening to the familiar signals sent out by these things, to find
the strongest signal. Because I work in very remote areas normally, I
am guessing that the base station signals, should not be that hard to
distinguish from the normal mish mash of mobile phone signals. Would
anybody be kind enough to supply me with a diagram or a web site etc,
to help me on my way? PS 980Mhz.
Old April 5th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Travis Jordan

Mark wrote:
[...]

It isn't that easy unfortunately. In all the digital systems the base
transmit power level adjusts according to a power up/down request sent
from the mobile, so if you don't have an active transmitter you may not
hear anything on a low-use system. At 980 Mhz the provider is probably
using CDMA? In that case you might be able to find a receiver capable
of finding and following the pilot carrier, but this solution won't be
simple, and it won't be cheap.

Stick with the compass / map approach.

Old April 12th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Ed Bailen

The simple solution is to find an old scanner that is not blocked on
cell phone frequencies. Then you can either watch the signal strength
meter, or feed the meter signal into an audio-frequenct VCO.

Regards,
Ed